Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who just got the latest 5.0, I was wondering what your opinion is on the new ZEX setup on page 26. I know a lot of people say to install the jet inbetween the MA and TB, but a lot of people seem to put it in front of the MA. This seems pretty stealthy to me, but what about how efficient it is and it's effect on the MA Element? All opinions welcome, as I'm installing a ZEX kit and making it stealthy, so this is perfect! BTW - For those of you who don't have 5.0 mag, the setup is basically a replacement conical air filter with a special adaptor at the front of the filter with a fitting for a dry nitrous kit hose to hook up to. Pretty boss in my book...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the Zex 125 shot, and a bunch of my friends and I were wondering the same thing. You would think a burst of ice cold nitrous would throw the maf/computer off? Soooo, I would like to hear form someone who has done this install also? Good post. THIS IS WHAT ZEX IS OFFERING

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I caved and got one off of Ebay. So I'm going to install everything in about a week from this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted. Also installing a Hyfire VI, so I'll let everyone know abouth ow that works, too!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Having the jet and line going into the front of the AF is not exactly stealthy. Unless it's in a fenderwell mount. But then you have a variety of issues.

1) The jet is so far away from the TB and motor that it will lose most of it's hit and effectiveness.

2) The temp at wich nitrous comes out of the jet is much, much colder than a MAF can handle and will throw off readings way to the rich side. I guess that's how people survive with a set up like this?

3) The presence of a CAI kit can wreak havoc with idle and drivability issues on some of these cars. Why would we want to add in another potentially catastrophic variable?

Anyway, that's just my $.02!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with some of what you're saying Fordracer....that's why I'm going to find out first hand how it works...then I'll take a trip to the dyno and see what the truth is. I'm not worried about idle and drivability problems, just the fact that I'm spraying Nitrous on my MA element is the worrying factor....I'll keep everyone posted...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, here's an update and a lesson learned. I just called Zex and they told me that the Ejector should only be used on a speed density setup...so, the Ejector will be making it's way onto Ebay and I guess it confirms our theory of the mass air element being exposed is not a good idea....damn it. Anyway, I'll still keep everyone posted on the Mallory...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Some people spray in front of the maf to add fuel, instead of using a wet kit or upping fuel pressure with a dry kit. Its pretty easy to peg the injectors even with a 75-100 shot and sometimes you can freeze the maf by then end of a run if its too close.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
on my 96 SHO I ran a 50 shot with 0 fuel system changes....I ran it almost exactly like that Zex system...we drilled and taped a straight shot jet into the center of the K&N cone...worked great!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the 50 shot gave you a 75rwhp difference and you did it at the air filter? Are SHO's mass air cars?

·
Registered
219 Posts
i just bought one and i'm going to put mine on today, right away i can tell you you'll need a reducer, as the biggest size the filter comes in is a 3, and most CAI's are 4

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know how it works...I was told by several people, incl. Zex, that it isn't wise to use because of the MA Element...I'm definitely interested to hear though!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
if you rember the Compucan"Bottle in a Bag" setup it installs in 10 minutes and the fuel is added via freezing the MAF wires..sane thing as this but this adds fuel via pressure increase also so i say you will run way rich

·
Registered
31 Posts
Geez, how cold IS a shot o' squeeze? Sucking 40 below zero air during a Canadian winter hasn't killed my air meter...would a 75 shot?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Kind of off topic but, I plan on running a 125 shot from zex... do you guys think I'll need any fuel system mods? Already have a medium sized pump. Anything else? Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think so....Zex seems to run their kits a little on the safe side, so I wouldn't worry about it....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts