Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well of course this topic has been discussed over on the f body boards alot...that is where i usually hang out...i just wanted to see what kind of views yall had here.

basicly im asking the same question on both boards to see how each boards handles the discussion..

basicly imim asking which is a better street strip car....im not talkin anything fancy.... lets keepo it to lets say heads cam type stuff.... and power adders.. we wont even go into strokers and stuff.. that can get the topic wayy to brod
you want a daily drivin streeet strip car..... which would you prefer.. z28 or gt????

lets not havethe looks enter into it or autox or otehr handling.

why would you want the z28 or the gt?

wellll ill come back later to see whats goin on..i know i forgot to post somthign

brook

·
Registered
541 Posts
What year cars are we talking about here? I'd go with the mustang, but I also don't know a hell of a lot about the z28s. Mustangs are lighter, the aftermarket is way cheaper, and much more selection.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we are talkin 90+
thats the one thing i can think of abotu stangs....cheeeep aftermarket and lots of avalibility

brook

·
Registered
87 Posts
well i own both and for street strip fun i prefer the camaro.
for strictly drag racing, mustang all the way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I absolutely CANNOT stand sitting on the floor in an F-Body. The tall doors, tall and poorly laid out dash, and the backseat is a JOKE. I'm sure they're alot of fun though.

I prefer a Mustang's interior by alot, but I guess I may just be partial to Ford interiors.

Anyway, with a GT and a Z28 the GT always comes up short on displacement (4.6L, 5.0L to a 5.7L). So the aftermarket being great for 'Stangs is certainly a blessing!

Also, who the hell wants to wrench on an F-Body? If you didn't notice ALOT of the engine resides beneath the cowl. Not cool at all!

·
Registered
176 Posts
90+ brings a lot of different motor combinations in to play.

5.0, SOHC 4.6, DOHC 4.6, LT1, LS1, and the basic 350 SBC.

As far as wanting to go quick, and keep it streetable, I'd say:

1. DOHC 4.6
2. LS1
3. 5.0/5.8 - LT1 - 350 SBC (3 way tie)
4. SOHC 4.6

But, parts are expensive for the DOHC, SOHC, and LS1 cars. Not so for the 302/351, SBC, and LT1.

If you're on a tight budget, it's hard to beat a fox bodied mustang, or the 3rd gen camaros. Both have tons of aftermarket, which keeps prices down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if ya wanna go fast and do it really cheep id say a fox body 5.0 would be the way to go...

as far as that list abotu wanting to go quick, and keep it streetable... id say the ls1 would be #1 over the DOHC 4.6
any day of the week. jmo....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i'd have to go with a 90-93 fox coupe. #1 lightweight, doesn't need a lot of power to go fast. #2 tons of aftermarket parts at affordable prices. #3 stronger rear than the gm's(8.8 vs. 7.5). #4 engine bay is easier to work in vs 90 & up camaro/firebirds. i'd hate to have to change a plug in a new ls1. #5 price of the vehicle. you can pick up a decent90-93 coupe for 3-5k. add another 2k in performance work & you are in business. 5.0roy

·
Registered
569 Posts
For all out performance I would go with a 89-93 5.0, I am not just saying that because I own one. They are alot eisier to work on and the aftermarket world it great for them, they are not as heavy as the F-Bodies and they have a better rear end. I would like to own a 95 LT1 and put the LT4 H,I,C on it, but they just suck to work on because of how low they sit plus the cab forward design with the engin 1/4 of the way into the passingers compartment. I hate the weak points of the Mustang ,T-5,T-45's brakes, subframes seats, ect, but I also hate the weak points in the F-Bodies, the interior layout the weak drivers view, the 10 bolt rear end, the passigers floor hump for the converter, you can go on and on all day long but the main reason I am a Mustang owner is because I can work on my car in my driveway and make make it run resonably fast for my budget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts