Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 GT 5 speed with 164K miles. So far I have 3.73's in the rear, Dual Friction clutch, Steeda shifter and a BBK cold air kit. I fear the old 5.0 is getting tired. Oil usage is up although she runs 14.5 at 95mph in the 1320'. All the calculators tell me it still has 220-225 rwhp at ~3400lbs with my fat arse in it.

It will still need to be a daily driver (60-75 miles per day) and I would like to maintain its drivability. I occasionally do thrash it at the track and may even autoX once or twice a year. I will keep the AC and PS plus all the other creature comforts. I do have another vehicle for nasty weather days and when it's down for modifications.

All other options are open...302/306/332/347 & SC or 351 stroker & NA or other combinations. Tell me the good and the bad.

I want 11's and calculators say 400rwhp is what is needed.

Right now I am leaning 392 stroker NA but maybe 331/347 and spray the heck out of it or 306 and SC?

Let me know what your opinions are and remember drivability i.e. dependability...

Thanks...see you at WFC5...I live only 15 miles away.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dont built a stroker. You can reach your goal with an absolutely stock engine, with a turbo or a blower.

Then if you break something.. no biggie. :)

- Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't really consider a turbo. My dad has one on his 95 Cummins, had it turned up and it pulls real hard. I had one on a 1979 mustang 4 banger and it burnt the oil going to the bearings in the turbo real bad. I hope the new ones are better now.

Where can I find more info on turbos? Who makes kits? Does the exhaust pipe come with them? How about cost verses a supercharger?

Time to look into this more seriously...........

Thanks again
Jeff

·
Registered
238 Posts
Incon or other turbo and...... well thats it :joy:

·
Registered
70 Posts
You don't need a stroker, or a poweradder to go 11's. A well thought out NA 302 has the potential to go mid to high 11's depending on how serious you are.

Later,
Kyle
'93 Cobra #1058

·
Registered
729 Posts
The calculators give fwhp.....not rwhp. I know some of them online label them as rwhp but that's simply because a lot of guys don't know about anything but a chassis dyno. Those calc's have been around for years and it's fwhp under ideal condtions.

Just an FYI as this makes your goal a bit easier. You're looking at under 350 rwhp being required to hit your goal now.

A nicely setup NA 306 would do it as Kyle mentions, or a mild 347/351 buildup should easily make the number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts