Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what your experiences are with any modified manual transmission mainly with tremmec models. i recently read an article on a modified T5 from promotion performance stating that while under hard accelaration it shifts smooth how ever while shifting under normal street use it was hard and made a clunking noise as well as had strong gear wine due to the straight cut gears (1st - 4th) i am interested in this tranny for it weight saving properties as well as its ability to handle high horse power. i am also looking at tremmec and the X2C modified tremmec for the same reasons. my 2 main concerns are streetablilty-longevity and horse power capabilities. so if you have information on their shift response,noise under normal and extreme throttle i would be greatful. thanks for your time

thanks,
Erick

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I've never had anything other than a T5, so I'm not speaking first hand. I just want to get you started.

Personal friend had a 351W in his 95, blew his T5 to 1001 pieces. He replaced it with the TKO II, and managed to blow that up as well (power shiftin mofo... hehe). He drove it on the street regularly until he got his F-150, said it shifted fine and wasn't noisy.

I've read on corral that the G-Force T5's are a little more difficult to shift as you mentioned. They're also supposed to be noisy. Neither of those would bother me, however, for the power they can hold.

The general concensus is if you're in love with the T5s smooth shifting, than you'll be dissapointed with any Tremec's shifting that you choose.

I'm reading your post and am assuming you've got an AODE in that slug now (when you say you want to save weight). What kind of power are you putting down? My dream transmission would be a Viper T56 with the .50 overdrive, but that's expensive.

All transmissions in their stock form are streetable, unless your wife/girlfriend plans on driving when they may start to complain. Just make sure you don't get one with a .83 or higher overdrive or that's approaching unstreetable due to the aweful gas mileage.

Look at your current horsepower, look at your goals, and make the decision.

·
Registered
902 Posts
i had a 3550 in my cobra and i personally didn't like it... as stated above it is much notchier than the T-5 and much noisier, however it was much stronger and durable but it made it less fun to drive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just switched from a World class T-5 to a tremec 3550. The T-5 did shift very smooth and was quiet, but the tremec doesn't seem to shift hard on normal driving. The biggest difference I noticed was when I had the car at 6000-6500 and shifted, it seemed to shift alot better than the T-5, as stated above. Noise, yes my tranny is brand new and it is noisy setting in the garage and reving it. I think most of it is through the shifter. The tranny came with a slip that confirmed it!!!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've had the stock T-5, a T-5Z, and a 3550 Tremec.

The Z-code was nice but it's gearset KILLED any chance at a launch on slicks. It's 1st gear was like an AOD's. With 3.55's I could do like 45MPH in 1st! The .063 OD was nice.

I finally killed the Z-code and went with a 3550. The 3550 was about twice as loud (lots of gear whine) and shifted VERY notchy. It felt like I was driving around a Sherman tank or something. I sold the car with the 3550. I've driven it since and while the noise is still there, the shifting has smoothed out. I guess it needed to break in.

When my '95 needs a tranny I'm going to just dive into a T-56. It's as strong as a 3350 (or better), quiet, and hey you get a 6th gear!

Shawn

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Anaconda said:
T5's are a lot lighter than Tremecs. When I blow my T5 up (which won't be long), I will be doing the G-force rebuild.
What he said

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Anaconda said:
T5's are a lot lighter than Tremecs. When I blow my T5 up (which won't be long), I will be doing the G-force rebuild.
Seriously? I thought the 3550 was about 7 lbs lighter than the T5. (TKO is allot heavier, though.)

·
Registered
902 Posts
my understanding is the only difference in the 3550 and the TKO are the splines on the input shaft... atleast thats what D&D told me. So they should weigh the same....

My 3550 was significantly heavier than my world class t5

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a TREMEC 3550 since new, no problem shifting at low and High RPM. Only problem is noise even in neutral. Added more insulation.
I think the WC T5 is better because of the 2.95 first & close ratio gears.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Bishop said:
Seriously? I thought the 3550 was about 7 lbs lighter than the T5. (TKO is allot heavier, though.)
Exactly wrong

SirStuntAlot said:
my understanding is the only difference in the 3550 and the TKO are the splines on the input shaft... atleast thats what D&D told me. So they should weigh the same....
Exactly right. The main shaft on the TKO at the rear (31 spline I believe) may be a little thicker(tad bit heavier, maybe 2#) than the 3550 from the pics that I have seen for the extra splines it has. Input shaft also has the gm 26 spline input shaft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts