Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris,

I sent you a PM but you probable have so many I decided to post. It also allows any other VBulletin gurus to help out.

All info on the message board is stored in one file, vbulletin.sql. If you backed up that file with your sites it will contain all the info you need. You may loose a day or so of posts but at least most of the threads will be there.

It is very simple to restore, simply upload the file to your server, do not open the file as it can damage it, then simply:

1 - SSH into machine
2 - at the prompt type mysql -uUSERNAME -p newdbname < /path/to/vbulletin.sql

That will bring all info back to the day you backed up the file.

If you know all this sorry I wasted your time, but I would like to help out anyway I can ;)

Ian

·
Registered
556 Posts
im an electrical engineer(no that it makes any difference) but i was waiting on a post like this. honestly bob we all make mistakes BUT i do find it a little hard to believe there is NO way to recover that data. care for an explanition of why its "not recoverable"?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be true that Bob cannot do anything, only the server admin would be able to fix it (Chris) Bob is just a Vbulletin admin - close threads, make sticky, clean users, clean posts, ect... Chris would be the man that has to find it on his backup and restore.

Ian

·
Registered
136 Posts
I find it extremely hard to believe myself that it can't be recovered. I'm an engineer also and have enough knowledge to know that even a marginally competent hardware admin of a server should back things up routinely. Maybe not everything could be recovered but most should be. I hate to be cynical but I wonder if this was business motivated and some of the sponsors didn't like all the history of their products shortcomings available with a simple search because lets face it, they've all taken some hits from upset customers on here. Now they have a clean slate. Hmmmm:confused:

·
Registered
556 Posts
88dragtop said:
I find it extremely hard to believe myself that it can't be recovered. I'm an engineer also and have enough knowledge to know that even a marginally competent hardware admin of a server should back things up routinely....
ditto on that. you all on corral arent giving up that easy on getting back all that awesome info we had on here are ya? for us unbelivers: can we have a technical explanition of why the data cannot be recovered?

·
Registered
556 Posts
comon cant you humor us? i know it a free site but dont you owe us that at least?

·
Registered
556 Posts
bump bump bump

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Sorry guys...there's lots of Forums here, and I don't get to all of them each day. In the future, it would help if someone would send a PM or e-mail to me. I'm not trying to ignore anybody, I simply haven't read this thread.

I cannot comment on much more than what I know. If there is some way that those threads are recoverable, Chris Ihara is the only one that will know. I'll forward this link to him.

Here is what happened. The VB Admin area is like any other page, with links and choices and such. There are links to do a whole range of things, including finding usernames, IP search, Forum pruning, yada yada yada.

Prior to splitting up the Forums, I had to make a new area "Header", the one now called "Power Adder Forums". I did that, but screwed up something (don't remember exactly what), and went to delete it. It happened to be right above the header "General Mustang Tech". Well, I clicked that by mistake (instead of the Power Adders one), clicked delete, and even hit yes on the "are you sure" question. When I did, everything went bye bye.

I felt like, and still do feel like, a complete moron, but I did it. As dumb as it is, that's what happened.

Sorry guys.

·
Registered
556 Posts
NP Bob. Thanks for replying ;) Dont sweat it. I wish something as small as this would be the dumbest thing I would ever do. For that matter dumbest thing id ever do with a computer :rolleyes: Maybe the above method will still apply and have a chance to work?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob I guess **** happens do not feel bad.

There is no way that Chris does not have a backup. I sent him e-mails, and a PM, no replies. I offered all the help I can give, and have heard nothing. I work on the VB team and I KNOW he has a backup somewhere. The database file is very important.

I am just wondering why he does not re-load the posts?? If he has a nice simple answer I would like to hear it ;)

Ian

·
Founder of corral.net
1,555 Posts
We have a backup from a few hours before the forums were deleted. Had I not had my head up my ass I would have thought to restore it. (It was late)

Anyway, what I've been trying to figure out how to do is save all the posts up to this point in those specific forums since the deletion date, so that they can then be re-entered in.

I can't simply restore all the databases because in that time over 200 people have registered and they would then have to re-register. it would also cause problems with thread consistency, etc.

Is there a way to parse out only the data we need from that file? So that it can simply be reinserted into the existing database?

Unfortunately I'm not an SQL wizard and have been unable to find out how to do that in my SQL book.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very good! I will ask around and get you some help ;) I am sure there is a way.

Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts