Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say that it has something to do with what plant made it or what year the block is. My friend says that it has to do with the casting of the block. Does anyone know what these marks mean? they are found on the lifter valley just below the lower intake. I have seen either YYY or XXX......thanx for any info..........Doug K

·
Registered
194 Posts
I brought up this question once and the concensus was that the XXX motors came out of mustangs and the YYY motors came from LTD's. This was only through a small bit of research so it could be wrong. It came about when we suspected a crooked mechanic swapped motors on someones Mustang. The motor had YYY in the lifter valley. Well, all the 302 blocks, that came from Mustangs, that my buddy has in his barn say XXX and the ones from LTD's said YYY. Like I said, not very thorough research, but it was enough to get the mechanic investigated.

·
Registered
883 Posts
DeviousVert said:
I brought up this question once and the concensus was that the XXX motors came out of mustangs and the YYY motors came from LTD's. This was only through a small bit of research so it could be wrong. It came about when we suspected a crooked mechanic swapped motors on someones Mustang. The motor had YYY in the lifter valley. Well, all the 302 blocks, that came from Mustangs, that my buddy has in his barn say XXX and the ones from LTD's said YYY. Like I said, not very thorough research, but it was enough to get the mechanic investigated.

not true, I am looking at the stock block out of my 90'lx and it has YYY in the lifter valley.I know for a fact that this is the stock engine that came in this car from the factory.

·
Registered
194 Posts
oh well, so much for my theory:idunno:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had a YYY block that didn't have the two holes in the lifter valley.
The bungs were there, but not drilled nor tapped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts