Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if the x303 cam will work on a stock shortblock with gt40P heads or will there be piston to valve clearence.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent put the heads on yet im just tryin to figure out what i have to do to use the cam on my car without notching the pistons any suggestions would help

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
It doesn't matter how many GT40p/X303 setups are out there w/out any PtV problems.... you need to check for it in your setup. Are the odds against you?..... IDTS.... and as Superlead76 mentioned, you need to make sure the valve train is compatible with that cam. LUK

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
You should:

- Degree the cam
- Check PtV with clay or valve drop method.
- Measure and ID which is the correct pushrod length required.
- Make sure valve springs are the correct ones for the cam + that they are installed correctly.
- Check for other clearance issues, like rocker arm to valve retainer

·
Banned
91 Posts
deff check it... i know the cam fits with gt40s .. my buddy had gt40s and a x cam... it sounded nasty... but in all honesty the car was a dog....

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I ran the Xcam with a set of home ported 351 DOOE heads on a stock 89' bottom end a few years ago... Cleared fine. It went 12.87 first time out with a way too tight converter in the C4... Oh and it was on Mcleary dirt track tires... haha

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so would it be alright to run 1.7 pedestal mount roller rockers with that set up. and whats a nice set of springs to have installed.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
so would it be alright to run 1.7 pedestal mount roller rockers with that set up. and whats a nice set of springs to have installed.
not ok to run 1.7s , and might not clear with 1.6s , if you dont clay the pistons and check the PTV clearance then you are asking for trouble with that cam , I doubt it will have enough clearance IMO

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
slo895.0

not ok to run 1.7s , and might not clear with 1.6s , if you dont clay the pistons and check the PTV clearance then you are asking for trouble with that cam , I doubt it will have enough clearance IMO
Why would he not be able to run 1.7's? Actually he could assuming the 1.6's have no issues. As it has been stated 9835894753043948 times max lift has NOTHING to do with PTV clearance.

For the OP nobody on this board or even in the world for that matter can answer your questions about if cam A or cam B...etc will fit without checking it first. do a search on here for PTV clearance, or contact a machine shop about how to do it.

·
Banned
91 Posts
iv seen plenty of cars go fast with the stock cam... but if ur gonna do a cam.. im taking it u want one that performs and gives u a little of the cam lope sound ... on the cheap.. b -or e cam or the tfs1 .. yea theres 5786787678789 better cams.. but they will work good with ur setup

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
The few installations I've done of X303 cams with ported or non ported stock style heads (289/E7/GT40/Performer/etc) haven't had any problems.... except one. Reason why you need to check. You don't want to find out yours is in the exception group by bending some valves or causing other problems. Regardless of the cam you end up installing..... you always need to check PtV clearance. My junk still has an X303 with 289 milled heads and 1.72 rockers (.583" lift).... no problems for 15+ years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just was wonderin cause i have a chance to get the X303 cam for around $50 so i didnt know if it would work or if i should just save my money and buy a more moderate close to stock cam

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
If you have the stock cam, use it with 1.7 rockers, save your money and order the correct profile for your combo and goals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts