Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it studs or bolts that attaches the Xpipe (h pipe) to the exhaust manifold ?

I believe it is studs ..... What are your options if one of the studs gets stripped while pulling off the original h pipe ... ?:confused:

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
studs. If stripped, which is unlikely, especially on a 99, replace or rethread the stud.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds easy enough ..... Bolts I am good with on any other install ...studs for some reason make me a little nervous .... I have never messed with the manifolds before ... completely new experience for me ... I love learning though ...

How easy are the studs removed if need be ? As you can probably tell, I do not like surprises.

Thanks for the feedback ! :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
LOL - I don't blame you for not liking surprises.

Mine came right off. They were snugged well, but I couldn't believe how easy it was.

I don't think you'll strip the studs. Everyone was talking about what a pain it was to get to the nuts on the studs, but I had no problem at all on my car. Afterall, they don't have to be THAT tight! Probably 30-40lb/ft will do it. Just use a ratchet with a long extension, deepwell, and a universal before the socket.

Put some anti-sieze on all the studs, bolts and the O2 sensors before snugging everything back up. It'll make your life easier down the road.

·
Registered
313 Posts
One of the times I was installing some flavor of pipe I twisted the stud right in half. But luckly I still had enough to tread a bolt onto.
But now I have Long tube so dont ave to worry about that anymore. Is is very hard to get to the passenger side bolts. If you are having the troubles with the pass side then good luck. My brother-in-law also has the exact same problem with his 97GT.
He is just going to buy him some new headers also.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I do not know if the GT's are like my Cobra, but it uses a gasket on the passenger side header, and the good 'ol compression fit on the drivers side. I just put full exhaust on mine, and I could not for the life of me get that apart! Of course I needed the gasket... the nuts wouldn't budge with a 1/2" inpact. I was pissed, and you don't EVEN wanna know how we got it off the car. Lets just say its a good thing I don't need the cat-H pipe and manifolds again... Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts