Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been hashed out at least a million times before, but... what about on my blown '93? Dr. Gas off-road x or good old off-road h??? Which one and why...

·
Registered
102 Posts
it's all about sound, my friend. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice. H = deep muscle and X= exotic. As far as horsepower gain, about the same. Although, I know you will beat your head on the desk for about 2 weeks before you decide. LOL!:joy:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey J... good to see you back on the web! Thought you had fallen off the face of the earth. What are you gonna stick on your '88 notch? BTW, anybody know anything about the MetalTech stainless o/r h that Laurel Mountain sells for $119??? Sure seems cheap for a stainless pipe...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
if it were my car..i would go with an h-pipe. they sound,great, and perform just as good. The only difference is, is that x-pipes perform better the higher in revs you get becauser the help equalize the exhaust pulses, if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I talked to Flowmaster...

According to those guys X pipes just cost more and take up more space...unless you are building something to compete against Billy Glidden...save the cash and buy a H pipe...

An x will make more hp WAY up there...but you wouldn't even notice it on the street...stick with the TQ

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I vote for the Dr. Gas X-pipe. It's going to be significantly quieter than an Off Road H-pipe. As others have said, the sound quality is subjective, but there's no debating which is louder (or quieter).

If you go with a H-pipe, you're going to have a very loud car that will sound just like every other Ricky Racer out there...

Just letting you know ahead of time.

Also, no offense intended, but I'd take Flowmaster's opinion with a grain of salt.

Regards,

·
Registered
343 Posts
The X-Pipe quieted my car down considerably more than my POS Mac H-Pipe. I prefer my car to be quieter plus I did feel like my car picked up some power, if anything it feels like it revs quicker and doesn't sound as obnoxious. Now I just need to get rid of these MAC mufflers and get some some better sounding and flowing mufflers.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dr. Gas is looking better and better... I didn't care for the sound of the Bassani (think it's because the 'x' is too far back) I had on my Cobra. I am worried about ground clearance with the Dr. Gas as my car sits low... also suspect the x will sound better with a 'straight thru' design muffler (Dynomax? Magnaflow?) so that will need to be changed also.

·
Registered
343 Posts
One of my next purchases is the straight through mufflers which make a very sweet smooth sound.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Anyone have a wav of both an H and an X on the same car, specifically a 5.0? It's hard to compare apples to oranges and I'm in the same dilemma, X or H?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.