Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to install rear pads, had the proper tools to screw the piston all the way in, but even with the piston all the way down it seems as though the new pads are too thick!! Factory Ford rear pads....I need about another 3/8 of an inch and I don't have it. Yes I have the proper pads, the proper tools, and the proper know how, but something ain't right.....any ideas....:mad: for what its worth the part number is F5ZZ-2200-A and they are kinda small compared to a F5ZZ-2200-B ( Which Ford tried to tell me were the proper pads) Can anybody verify the part number for me?? 96 cobra rear brake pads..... TIA

·
Registered
657 Posts
Best bet woudld be to email ford-parts.com

they can look it up for you

:)

But yes something is wrong, i didnt even need the piston tool, to get mine in

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey VertCobra

I had the same problem a few months ago. The rear pads on a gt, cobra, and even a V6 stang are the same. However there may be a different compound. Make sure your rear brake caliper locating pins are not frozen up. When those rubber boots crack they tend to freeze up. I sprayed WD-40 on the pins and worked the hell out of them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i just rubbed a bit of the pad off. worked pretty good

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After much digging I found that because I have aftermarket wheels and I bought the car used, apparently the rear caliper brackets were changed to GT/Bullit brackets which in turn only accept GT/Bullit pads but my rotor is still a cobra rotor. So I guess once upon a time someone went through what I am going through right now.....looks like I'm shavin' a few millimeters of pad off before install........thanks for your input.....

·
Registered
736 Posts
i'm changing mine right now. does anyone know where you can get the proper tool? or have pics of it. i bought this box from autozone and its not wide enough to fit to work right. any help would be apperciated.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Been there, done that...

Don't use the tool from Auto Zone... One of the sides has to have two tabs sawed off in order for the piece of **** to fit... And once you modify it, it still slips out of the piston grooves... The one that worked for me was a tool I bought at Pep Boys. Same cubical shaped tool (gold in color), but had a side that fit without modifing it. Leslie is the company that makes it...

Once you get the cube that fits, good luck compressing the piston back in... I almost lost it when doing the rear brakes on my Cobra... :mad:

·
Registered
182 Posts
The trick for the rear pads are to open the bleed valve.Then you turn the piston.Make you close the bleeder valve.I spent alot time trying to get the pads on the rotor until i tried the bleeder valve.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
don't open the bleed valve. open the brake fluid reservoir and lightly stuff a paper towel in there, so the fluid has somewhere to go, because compressing the piston pushes the fluid back up in the reservoir. I had no problems with my cobra or my sisters gt. I used the lisle tool as well on the gt, and needle nose pliers on the cobra.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a disc brake set from Harbor freight that I was using......bunch of different adapters and worked perfect.......

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The harbor freight kit is nice, but if I remember correctly its pretty expensive... But ****, I'll pay the extra cash if I never have to go through what I did the first time I changed the rear pads out...:mad: Its well worth it to have good tools... I can't tell you how many times and easy job turned turned into a nightmare because I had **** tools to work with...:mad:

Do you have a link to the kit? Did you buy it directly off their website...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought it at the store and I think it was like $39.99..I can get the part number for you tomorrow if you like...its at work in my toolbox....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went to Harborfreight.com, search "disc brake" its the first set that pops up in the red carrying case...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts