Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago the battery in my stored Mustang froze. I went out to start it up last week and noticed. The battery was totally frozen, case split.

The batt had been disconnected since it was last started, so my reasoning was that the battery had failed, then frozen in the cold. I purchased it last April.

To make a long story short, the battery was taken to the Exide warehouse. The guy there thawed it, melted the case back together and charged it. He said there was nothing wrong with the battery, and that it tested perfectly.

Now, I had always heard that once a battery was frozen, it was done. But, I brought it home and the car started right up. So now I'm wondering - if I leave this thing in the car, will I be okay, or will it fail at the worst possible time leaving me swearing on the side of the road somewhere?

Just looking for opinions,

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
batteries arent THAT expensive, go buy a new but thats just my .02

Scott

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would be :bs: if someone tried doing that to me. Get a new one. Don't chance it. A DieHard Gold is only $79.

·
733 Posts
"To make a long story short, the battery was taken to the Exide warehouse. The guy there thawed it, melted the case back together and charged it. He said there was nothing wrong with the battery, and that it tested perfectly."

thats the worse thing ive EVER heard in my entire life...i hope your fix works, id probably go with blowns idea itll be best for you and your car

melted the box back togather.....lol thatd be like melting a blow all to bits tire back togather IMO

did they charge you to do all that...

either way it runs thats all that matters

·
733 Posts
"I would be if someone tried doing that to me. Get a new one. Don't chance it. A DieHard Gold is only $79."

seriously and you can get like a cheap one with like a 1 yr warranty for like 30 bucks and at the end of the yr just leave your car on all night and kill it and then go get a new one

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I wouldn't chance it. Nothing sucks more than being stranded in a parking lot with a dead battery and asking people if they can jumpstart your car while their reply is "**** you." Been there.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards replacing it too.

I took it back because the batt was under the free replacement potion of the warranty. But, frozen batteries are not covered. I think Ians idea is best.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Interstate batteries repairs them also. About once a mo. they sell refurbished bats for like 20 bucks when they get a stock-pile of them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
No - I would not trust it.

Freezing can damage the plate separators and to sucessfully patch a battery case, (considering the material it is constructed of, the vibration it will undergo and the acid damage it will do if and when it breaks), is doubtful.

Do the math: Example - $62.00, (incl tax), Divided by 108 months = $.57 cents a month or 2 CENTS A DAY for a new MAXX - 9 year/ 3 year free replacement batt from Wal-Mart.

Is it worth it?

P.S. A stored battery should be charged ONCE A MONTH at a minimum of 3 amps/4 hours with an automatic charger.

Have heard of a fully charged battery being stored in a plastic container in a home freezer eliminating occasional charging.

It works if: the battery is in perfect condition which is very hard to determine because - as a battery gets older one cell will eventually become weak and completely discharge, (even though there is no load on it), and freeze.

Believe it or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts