·
Registered
6,049 Posts
No.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Fast Horse said:
Holy S**T, don't do it! The piston bearings are only meant to rotate in one direction. :D
Sorry man, had to do it.
Many moons ago, an aunt of mine had this fancy Buick, that would diesel, and run backwards for a minute or two. Damnedest thing...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The only thing I see that you would have to watch for is how it got turned over backwards. If you did it with the crank bolt, did you back it off at all?
Balancer might loosen up on ya.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Mustang Brad said:
The only thing I see that you would have to watch for is how it got turned over backwards. If you did it with the crank bolt, did you back it off at all?
Balancer might loosen up on ya.
Just a thought.
That's actually a good point. Good one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fast Horse said:
Holy S**T, don't do it! The piston bearings are only meant to rotate in one direction. :D
OMG What have I done. Did I hurt anything important.:eek:

and speaking of bearings this guys wants to charge me $79.99 for new muffler bearings is that a good price. I think i can get him to install them for free though. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
As long as all of your valvetrain isn't assembled on the motor you're perfectly fine, with the cam, lifters, pushrods and rockers all installed I wouldn't do it backwards any longer after that.

-J

·
Registered
30 Posts
I work on boats, and they do make reverse rotation engines. Imagine droping that in a car and finding out you have 5 reverse gears. Could set a record for the fastest 1/4 mile backwards!:)
Back in the '70s reverse on a snowmobile meant you had to stop the engine, and flip a switch that started the engine backwards. Pretty much any two-stroke engine is capable of running backwards, sometimes all it takes is a good backfire, and measures were taken to make sure it didn't happen.
Not like any of this related to this thread, but I liked the post about the buick, and it mostly summed things up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts