Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to the mods in my sig, I have removed the smog pump, that 25 pound weight thing, and have new Kumho Ecsta 712's in 275/40/17. The car is all tuned up (new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter) and the timing is at 12 degrees (pings if it is higher than that). Is it realistic to think that I could run a 1/4 mile in less than 13.9999999 seconds?

The 1/4 mile track is like 90 minutes away and I haven't had a chance to get there yet.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
WHen I removed the smog stuff I did not notice any new power. You can turn that thing by hand ridiculously easy, so I was not really expecting anything anyways. Its just a cleaner compartment. That and losing the 25 pound weight would be nice off the front, but you're not likely to see a difference with street tires.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BenW said:
WHen I removed the smog stuff I did not notice any new power. You can turn that thing by hand ridiculously easy, so I was not really expecting anything anyways. Its just a cleaner compartment. That and losing the 25 pound weight would be nice off the front, but you're not likely to see a difference with street tires.
I didn't remove it for the power gain, I just removed it for the weight loss.

Umm, so like, do you think I would be in the 13's????

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mgranzow said:
i'd actually guess about a 13.5

if you had a 5sp, some stickey tires, you'd prolly nick the top of the 12's!
Thanks for answering my question. Mid-13's sounds good to me.

Now what's the cheapest/easiest way to get into the 12's? I'm thinking of adding a Transgo shift kit and a 2400 stall torque converter. Would that get me there (or at least like 13-even)?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, let's see. Do you have a shift kit, a stall converter, and drag tires? If you hold the tranny in first, how high will it rev without bumping the rev limiter(cause of the 4:10's). Our combos are close, I had the above stuff taken care of, and with a short belt I managed a 13.03, icing the intake. If all the above stuff is not taken care of, then I predict real high 13's. But hey, I could be wrong. My wife says I usually am.:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Man, if you're gonna get a converter, then GET a converter. Going to a 2400 stall(in my opinion) would be like going from 2.73 gears to 3.27's. Alot of money and time for not much. I have a 3000 stallion and with 4.10's and 275/50/15 dr's I only got a 1.90 short time. Not sure what the specs on your cam is though. With my cam and intake, I wish I had went with atleast a 3400 stall. These aode's cars are heavy, and take alot to get them out of the hole. Personally, the quick 60' is the best part of the 1/4. I need more of it. :joy:

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ron95gt said:
Man, if you're gonna get a converter, then GET a converter. Going to a 2400 stall(in my opinion) would be like going from 2.73 gears to 3.27's.
I haven't done quite enough research yet on the converter. 2400 just seems to be kinda common. I might go higher, but I don't think I would go above like 3000.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go with the 3000 stall converter. I got the Precision Industries one and that is what they suggested for my setup. I should be in the 12s but traction was my major problem. I think you should be mid 13s easy.

Mook

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I had a similiar setup to yours and I was in the mid 13s easy. With a tourque converter, shift kit, and some drag radials you should see 12s no problems. Im there with only a vortech, nothing else(motor-wise).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.