Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to finish assembling a 347 that i started over a year ago but got distracted. im not exactly sure what my actual deck height, the machine shop probably cleaned the deck up but dont think they milled or zero decked it. going to try tomorrow to find out. im using ARP bolts, not studs

i ordered some 8548PT2 gaskets cause im assuming they are better than the 9333 for aluminum heads. but they have a compressed thickness of ~0.047"
stack height seems to be 8.190" (half of 3.4" stroke + 5.4" rod + 1.090 compression height).
assuming deck is right around 8.2", this would leave quench of around 55-60

is it worth it to get thinner headgasket to get better quench?

recommend a gasket for a N/A usage? i hear the 1011 gaskets suck

· Registered
3,110 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about the quench number too much. Also I would’ve gone with the 9333 instead. No reason not to.

Reactions: stangjumper

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I plan on checking PTV today. I have it currently with the rods been plastigauged but not torqued. And I did not have head gaskets so I scrambled to find some

I hear the 9333 ring wears into the aluminum and is better for iron head. The 8548 does not and is good for aluminum heads. Both are cheap and but Amazon can get the 8548 to me today while 9333 is not available until Monday

· Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,756 Posts
When it’s free and you have yet to spend money on head gaskets I see no reason not to. The wire rings do dig into aluminum cylinder heads. Been there and done that last time around. This time I’ll be running Cometic head gaskets. They have selection of thickness as well.

· Registered
8,629 Posts
9333's are better. I never toasted them like 8548's. Ran them for 12 years in a boosted 347.

Yes, 1011's are crap.

· Registered
3,110 Posts
Yes I plan on checking PTV today. I have it currently with the rods been plastigauged but not torqued. And I did not have head gaskets so I scrambled to find some

I hear the 9333 ring wears into the aluminum and is better for iron head. The 8548 does not and is good for aluminum heads. Both are cheap and but Amazon can get the 8548 to me today while 9333 is not available until Monday
It’ll get into the aluminum a little, but it’s not a big deal. I’ve also pulled aluminum heads off after running 9333s, and cleaned the deck and slapped another set of 9333s on and ran it.

· Registered
8,629 Posts
It’ll get into the aluminum a little, but it’s not a big deal. I’ve also pulled aluminum heads off after running 9333s, and cleaned the deck and slapped another set of 9333s on and ran it.
Same here. Whenever I've had to remove heads I always have them checked for imperfections and the machinist that I regularly use hasn't caught anything that related to those gaskets.

· Registered
394 Posts
I’ve also pulled aluminum heads off after running 9333s, and cleaned the deck and slapped another set of 9333s on and ran it.
I did the same after engine builder sandwiched a rivet between the block and head in back top corner and did not have any issues, ran for years and years after the gasket swap without resurfacing.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
does quench even matter with a dish piston? i didnt even think of that till i went to look a the block but i have dish -16.5cc pistons.

looking at the block it looks like not much was taken off the deck when machined. i did give him the block is pretty rusty condition so im sure he had to take some off. not sure if its normal or not but measuring the top of piston to top of deck, seems like the deck or piston has some angle to it, assuming the later. on the intake side, i have about 0.017" in the hole to top edge of the piston. on the exhaust side i have about 0.007" of clearence from deck to top outside of piston

i already picked up the 8548 gaskets. it would kinda throw off everything if i return them now so im probably just going to stick with them. i have no intention of running boost or spraying, its for a truck. im sure it will be fine. but if you REALLY insist then i would.

· Registered
1,756 Posts
Ive done that with 1011’s and 1012’s. Just sprayed them with copper coat. Saw the indent each time. Worked out fine naturally aspirated. This time I can spend a dollar or two to avoid that.

· Registered
1,756 Posts
There is zero negative to tightening up the quench. So when planning your build it will cost exactly the same. Like I did with my last 289. But it sure isn’t worth tearing a motor down for and spending money unless it’s soooo wide it’s causing issues.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have used the Ford Performance Kit gasket set with the head bolts a few times without any problems. They are really good for aluminum heads and I run up to 9 pounds boost on one engine. I believe the Fel-Pro 8548 PT-2 is the gasket included in this set.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i did end up going with the 9333 gaskets since i had to order new cylinder head dowels anyhow. idk how for 2 blocks and 3 sets of heads i dont have any dowels laying around

got the heads on, cam degreed, guideplates adjusted and rockers lashed. i have tons of PTV clearance.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

1 - 19 of 19 Posts