Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am not really happy right now.. Just got back from the track.. first night open and all excited cause I installed 4.10 and have been waiting all season to run. Previous best was a 14.1 and hoping to break the 14.0-13.9 barrier. First run not so hot... find the time.... 14.5????? ok ok calm down.. second run... ooo better better..... get the slip... WHAT!!! 14.5 again??? ok maybe something is up... run again get a 14.3,,, ok time to go home. What is going? Why am I running so crappy after the install.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What was your 60' this time? What was it last time? That is probably your answer. I wont list the rest of the litany...temp, humidity...etc..etc..

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I can think of two possible explanations:

1. Shorter gears will only help if you can hook your launch. Are your 60ft times 0.2s slower than before? If so, that explains the 0.4s loss -you spun off the line. That means it's time for some better tires and/or better weight transfer.

2. With the 4.10s, you're adding an extra shift. If you had the 3.27s before, you were probably crossing the traps in third gear, near the redline. Now, your crossing in 4th gear, at 4500 rpms or whatever. The extra shift and the lower rpms are eating up the extra few tenths. But as you continue to mod your car your trap rpms will come up, and the 4.10s would then be worth it.

It could be 1. or 2. or a combination of both. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Plain and simple. You need traction. With most of my mods, excluding cams, valve springs, intake, and dyno tune, I ran virtually the same times as I did when the car was stock, on street tires. Adding drag radials netted me a 4-tenths better ET, but the car still had more. Get some traction, and you'll be happy. 4.10's and street tires don't mix, unless you are DAMN good at slipping the clutch out of the hole.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
dude, just like when you get with a hot bitcsh at a party, it's all about laying the rubber. :cool:

don't mind me, i'm kidna drunk of my ass rigth now.

BTW- was up Joe? when the hell you coming to tally ahain?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97MattGT said:
dude, just like when you get with a hot bitcsh at a party, it's all about laying the rubber. :cool:

don't mind me, i'm kidna drunk of my ass rigth now.

BTW- was up Joe? when the hell you coming to tally ahain?
Hey thanks Matt. Maybe that is the problem. The last time I was at the track was when I was laying rubber. Has been a little while. Good point. Should have known you would have known the answer. Won't be up to Tally for a while anyway,, unles there is a mad party or something and I have the next day off. Let me know. Later

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh how I can relate.

The track here just opened on Wednesday and I finally hit the strip with my new 4.10s. I was running 13.5's on my 3.27 gears, looking to possibly best it with my new 4.10s.

Didn't happen.

I have to re-learn to launch my car all over again. Even with my drag radials, it has become incredibly too easy to spin out the tires launching the car. I was seeing 2.2 and 2.1 60' times most of the night. Even on the 3.27's I was pulling 1.9 and some 2.0 60's. It didn't help me that it was cold and humid out either. I was running 13.9's and even ran a 14.1 that night. I made up for it later by letting out a little more air out of my tires and riding the clutch out a little longer and ran a couple of 13.6 runs. Still not faster than my fastest, though. And I never broke under 2.0 60' either. I still know I have some practice left to make before I'm beating my old bests on 3.27's.

Get some good sticky tires and just get in your rounds and practice practice practice. The 4.10's will be to your benefit in the long run.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Traction and practice on getting your 60ft to a 1.8 and you will be fine. What was your 1/8 mile time anyway....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well see I figured that the weather would be good cause it was cool out. Nope. I think I am just gonna buy some new 18x9 and get some 275's for the rears. Think this owuld help any? I need some new rims anyway. Then comes the power adders.

·
Registered
642 Posts
no, going to an 18 inch wheel will hurt performance, not help it, from a standstill.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
winters98gt said:
no, going to an 18 inch wheel will hurt performance, not help it, from a standstill.

Yeah, go with a 17X9 wheel, and put some 275/40 tires on it. It's funny cuz everyone talks about "oh dude, you gotta get 4.10's" but they always forget how traction is an absolute must to go along with it.

Heck, on street tires i BARELY improved my ET's when i switched to 3.73's. :(

LOL, i crack myself up when i drink and then post on the message boards. :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey, you're kinda having the same problem I did ;) I had ran a best of 13.72 and quite a few .70's with stock 3.27's. I thought for sure the 4.10's would send the car to immediate 13.40's :lol: Just didn't happen :confused: My first time out with the 4.10's netted me a 13.97 and .96, one at 99mph and the other at 100. I thought to myself, maybe 4.10's ain't all that. But looking at the mph a little closer kinda gave away the fact that there maybe other factors. This was about 2mph off what I usually run.

A couple days later and I am back at the track with stock tires this time. Same thing, 13.96, but at 101.61. Two weeks later I break out of the funk running a 13.69. Within the next month, I managed a 13.55 @ almost 102. As everyone has said, traction is key with the 4.10's. They simply have the ability to run a quicker 60' than a 3.27 ever could, you just have to be able to get it to stick in order for that to happen.

Pay no attention to one outing. Keep hammering away and I bet you run 3/10's quicker within a few months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts