Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a hatchback wiring harness interchangeable with a convertible wiring harness. I have an 89 5.0 hatch and I'm picking up an 89 5.0 vert that needs a harness. Are they interchangeable?

TIA

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Which harness?? engine, dash??

Since they are the same year there should not be any major problems with the main harnesses. there are some minor differences in the harness for controls for the top and power windows. Just from what I have seen in the junkyards, the main harness for the dash and engine will be the same or very similar (if the cars are produced the same year and have the same engine), but some of the harness' that attatch to that for specific convertible pieces (i.e. power top, and power rear quarter windows) may be different.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...this is what I'm up against. The vert was the victim of an engine fire. I'm thinking the main harness is going to be bad due to where it comes through the firewall. This is with me thinking that the engine harness connects at the 10 pin connectors. Correct?

So...What I'm wondering is what all the main harness connects to. That is going to be my problem. Probably to be solved by just pulling the car apart and looking.

Any advice?

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
If you are lucky the wiring harness between the brake booster and the fender apron is untouched. The engine harness goes in the firewall on the passenger side to put the computer inside. That harness goes across the back of the firewall to connect to the ten pin connectors, BAP sensor, and trails out across the driver side fender apron to reach the coil. Then it also runs across the passenger apron for the mass air sensor, WAC relay, and tab/tad solenoids. there are a couple other connectors behind the kick panel close to the 60 pin connector that snap in too. There is a separate harness that runs from the ten pin connectors for the injectors and some sensors. It would really depend on how bad the fire was. If all it did was roast the top of the engine a little and melt some wiring on the firewall you will most likely be o.k. If it melted the wires together that go to the dash harness on the driver side you might have to change the main engine harness and the main dash harness. It will really depend on how bad the fire was and what damage has been done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts