Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I have tried searching but I can not find anything similar to my issue. My 87 5.0 will not start and any of the items that run when the key is in the on position will not work. At first I thought it might have been a fuseable link but I got to checking things with a multimeter and I have power to both of the yellow wires going into the ignition switch when the key is off. However when I turn the switch to the on and crank positions I lose all power to both wires. If it was a link there would be no power at anytime correct? Is it the ignition switch itself? I am about to run myself crazy studying wiring diagrams and trying to figure this out. Please help asap as I need to get this thing started again so I can finsh troubleshooting other issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like it could be the ignition switch, but I'd have to look over some diagrams to be sure.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I replaced the ignition switch a few minutes ago and still the same problem. I do feel a little better though with a new one being in there after seeing the condition of the old one. Everything that I have powered to a key hot source has no power. The yellow wires going into the switch (according to veryuseful.com should be the battery wires) are getting 12.7 volts until I turn the key then they drop to 0 volts. Could there be a fried fusable link somewhere? I am about to go bat crazy trying to get this car running.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The Actuator rod bent and not fully engaging the ignition switch?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright after doing some searching I found a blown fuseable link. It is one of the ones that branch off the yellow wire on the starter solenioid. It is actually inline of another yellow wire. I replaced that and every time I turn the key on it blows again. I traced the wire the best I could and could not find anywhere that could be shorting it out. Again the ignition switch has been replaced.

In this picture it is the bottom yellow wire with the black 16ga fuseable link.
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

What in the world is going on? From what I can tell from the diagrams on veryuseful the only things that circuit powers is fuses 1 and 10 which should be stop, hazard, flash to pass, and low oil level circuits.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
The low oil wire can get damaged and short to ground. You would think the fuse would blow first though.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The low oil wire is not hooked up. I actually did a engine swap and put a carbed 351 in it and was working on working out the last kinks with the trans when this problem started. I had started the engine many times since the swap and never had a problem. I was actually out there working on it tonight trying to figure out what is going on and now I dont have power to anything at all.

How many amps is the fuseable links rated at? Just wondering because I am about tired of replacing the link and am thinking about putting an inline fuse in instead. Would wind up being cheaper because I have a bunch of fuses laying around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts