Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Competition Orange GT manual w/ Performance Pack & Cloth Recaros. Loving almost every moment of it (transmission needs some tweaking but nothing a new shifter or the Blowfish kit can't fix)

My main concern before I go all mod-heavy is getting through the winter. I can't believe how pricey winter rubber is in the staggered setup - so I wanted to ask the collective knowledge here: Can I run a square 255/40R19 setup on the staggered rims? I looked at some tire / rim calculators and it doesn't seem to be a horrible idea - but it could be.

Would love your thoughts and feedback - if I can got to the square setup it's a savings of around $700... which means more fun mod money.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,111 Posts
you can save yourself some money and improve traction in snow by going to a narrower tire. also, although ideally I summer months, search craigslist adds as you can get some killer deals on snow tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured as much, I was asking for specific recommendations on what size narrower winter tires I should run on the existing staggered OEM wheels.

I am debating on getting a square set of T rated 255/40R19 Yokohama Iceguard tires, as they would be about $750 mounted, or perhaps the Hankook i*Cept Evo W310 for $900 mounted.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

you can save yourself some money and improve traction in snow by going to a narrower tire. also, although ideally I summer months, search craigslist adds as you can get some killer deals on snow tires.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My suggestion is to find a nice used FWD Ford Focus or if you really want to go in the snow get a 4X4 Explorer.

Are you really going to change out tires twice a year on the same set of rims? WHAT A MAJOR PITA!!! Unless you have a garage and can do it yourself? You probably can't even fit 4 tires in the car!

Do yourself a BIG favor and get a second set of rims for your snow tires. You NEED to go thinner as has been suggested. I believe the stock setup is 18' wheels running 225/55R18. Run those. Check with Ford but you should be able to just swap those on and clear the PP brakes. Smaller wheel but taller sidewall so speedometer should not need to be recalibrated. I know I am spending your mod money but this also saves your nice PP wheels from nasty Winter roads.

I did this on my ex-wife's RWD Mercedes and went down to 16' wheels (from 17's) with a taller and thinner tire. The car surprisingly handled really well in the snow. Still not as good as a FWD car even just running all season tires though. Might get similar results on the Mustang, might...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't believe the 18's will clear the 6 Piston Brembos and the 15" rotors up front. I understand some 18" rims might clear, but do yourself a favor and check fitment before purchase.

I bought the 2015 Mustang GT with performance pack (Ruby Red) a month ago and have been considering the same issue as I'm daily driving it. Thankfully our winter is milder and shorter here in Tennessee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great points Jeff.

I'm aware that switching tires off of the rim every season is a pain, unfortunately snow tires are at minimum $1,100 in the stock size (Hankook Winter I*Cepts), and more for the Blizzaks or the Pirelli Sottozeroes. That's a huge outlay upfront, plus $800+ for cheap rims for them to go on. Plus $150 + triggering device for TPMS. I'd rather rotate winters and summers through 2016 and then go to a more aggressive summer rim & tires setup (20's on PSS's), then use the stock rims as my winter set.

The alternate narrower 19" tire is 225/45R19 up front, and 245/45R19 in the rear (Need to be sure they will fit the staggered rims... and that 9.5" rear messes up going very narrow). The only matching set in that size is Blizzaks, at almost the same price. The Hankooks are cheaper at that point.

Almost no 18" rims will fit the Performance Pack. I have yet to see any advertised as fitting on any of the wheel sites I have visited.

I was hoping someone here would have solid advice on the AdvanceTrac issue regarding wheel size (is there a programmer I can use to change the rear tire size...?) So far not having a lot of luck.

I don't believe the 18's will clear the 6 Piston Brembos and the 15" rotors up front. I understand some 18" rims might clear, but do yourself a favor and check fitment before purchase.

I bought the 2015 Mustang GT with performance pack (Ruby Red) a month ago and have been considering the same issue as I'm daily driving it. Thankfully our winter is milder and shorter here in Tennessee.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry but no data for you on the AdvanceTrac working with a narrower rear tire.

Bummer on not being able to run 18's 225's all the way around as I believe that would give you the best performance in the snow.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so I've poked around. TireRack is insistent that I have to run non square, but the guys at American Muscle say it shouldn't matter. this means I could go to 255/40R19 all around or try 245/45R19 or 225/45/19 all around :)

Worst case... I have to buy a tuner to compensate for the tire size change. I was going to buy one in the spring anyways :)

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,111 Posts
you might have better luck with 245/40-19s as that's what I run on my G8 GT and have found them used on newer 5 series bmw

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
No offense man, I couldn't even remotely imagine driving that car around in the winter.

Nor would I want to.

I'd think for the money you want to spend on wheels and tires you could find something to drive during the winter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm also in the camp that driving it around in the snow isn't wise. When it even smells like it might snow, I leave the Mustang in the garage and use my SUV (with a dedicated set of rims/snows).

If I was forced to drive the Mustang in the snow, I'd probably buy something like the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 or Dunlop SP WinterSport 4D.

Best,

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I drive my Mustang GT year round in the Minneapolis MN area. Everyone here thinks I'm crazy - just like the feedback you are getting in this forum.

I have no problems and to me it's worth it. Yes, an SUV would be better for chugging through deep snow, but snow is cleared relatively quickly, and I think a sporty car is actually much better on the road in slippery conditions. The Mustang is designed to slide around a little on the road and recover easily. I love driving the 2015 GT - even if it's snowy. I have a long driveway, about 1/4 mile and sometimes I end up driving through 6-10 inches of snow for that distance after a snowy or windy day. It's not a problem.

Also, the computer nannies are really good nowadays at helping you. The car is really very secure in bad conditions. Of course you still have to slow down and be careful, but it's not a white knuckle situation like it was trying to drive a high power 80s or 90s RWD vehicle in the snow. I took the car into a parking lot and tried to make it slide. It won't do it. I'm not saying you will never, ever slip, but the car does a great job of helping you and driving all winter is really not an issue.

I use Blizzak snow tires on wheels from a 2011 GT I used to own that had the Brembo brake option. I think they are 19x8.5. Yes, the snow tires are expensive, but I get to drive the fun car year round. I would hate to drive some POS half the year. Totally not worth it. I'm not sure whether those rims would fit your 2015 GT PP or not. I've used this setup for the last three winters and the snow tires are still holding up well.

The first year when I got the snow tires I did have all four of the rims and tires in my 2011 GT. One fit in the trunk, two in the back seat and one in the passenger seat. Now that I have two sets of rims and tires, I just swap the rims myself in my garage when it gets bad out.

As far as your question about what tires will fit your existing rims, I don't know the answer. What I would do is ask your local tire guy. He will know right away.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I wouldn't want to drive a car that expensive in salt. But that's just me.

Reactions: swinerton

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I considered the cost of wheels/tires (15GT PP), even just tires and then the associated mount/dismount and so on, I opted for a winter beater car.
Having driven a 3.8Genesis on all seasons it was undriveable even then, absolutely horrid in just an inch of two of snow just creeping along very gingerly. I added Xi2's and it was just a smidge better. I'm not going through that again. But as said consider it dollar to dollar for a ~10 year old fwd car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not buying a beater, as I don't have two parking spots.

I traded a more expensive Acura when I bought this car, and I am not worried about salt.

Like I said earlier, the only two tire options are the Blizzak LM-32s and the Pirelli Sottozeroes. The Hankooks do not seem to have availability in the 275/40R19 size anymore.

I came here looking for winter tire advice, not buying a third car advice. Apparently I'd be better served just going ahead and doing my own homework, or trying another forum.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Holy ####, why do newbs always come in with a chip on their shoulder?

Reactions: swinerton

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because I got 3 decent responses on this thread, the rest were just judgements.

Perhaps that is why this forum seems to only get a few responses per day?

I've been on Hyundai forums with better traffic and threads...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't let the door hit you in the hiney on the way out. If you're too lazy to seek out the answer for yourself, don't whine about the perceived quality of the free advice you asked for.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts