Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a new 2001 Cobra shortblock (stock) and need to know if this will work on my '98 Cobra.

THanks for any help

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes, it should work. Just make sure you have the correct oil plugs capped off. There is also a diffrence in the amount of freeze plugs between your old block and the 01 block. How much did you get the 01 block for? I need a new block to go with the heads from my first motor. I want to build a forged engine and replace my current one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Dave,

What does that mean (no provisions for knock sensors)? Does that mean that I would just not be able to plug in those sensors from my '98 wiring harness?

Does this mean I can't use the block?

I am getting a block at KarKraft most likely ($2000)

Thanks for taking some time to help (again)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Dave King said:
2001 doesnt have provisions for knock sensors.

What are you talking about Dave??? The 2 knock sensors are underneath the intake on the 99 and 01 blocks, in the galley there between the cylinder walls....You been sniffing too much nail polish again while you are getting ready to go out and sell yourself on the corner again??? :lol:

Jeff

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a 2001 Cobra short block in my car that I bought from Houston Performance for $995. It DOES have provisions for knock sensors, but the sensors are different for the 99-01 Cars than they are for the 96-98 cars.

What we had to do was buy the new knock sensors, then splice the wires with the wires in the old harness, and then use some bolts to hold the knock sensors down.

Heres a pic of it...

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Ford part # for the studs that are supposed to hold the knock sensors down is W704602*S309

It would be better if you could look under the intake of a 99-01 just to see the way it really looks. Mines rigged, but it works

1 - 7 of 7 Posts