Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going with the Densecharger kit REAL soon. I have a home-made MAF forward kit which puts my K&N behind the foglight opening already. I'm going to call Densecharger and see if they'll sell just the MAF-TB portion of the kit. I just got the car tuned by Randy down at True Blue Performance and I'm curious if the new intake tract will affect the tune of the car at all? I like the gains and thoughts that everyone has had with the DC, but I don't want to negate some of it if the tune is affected. Thanks for any input guys.

Mike

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Very doubtful that it will make any difference. Please note that I am NOT a tuner, so I can't say for sure.

I am pretty sure John will sell just the MAF to TB pipe, however I am not sure how much he will charge for just the power pipe.

HTH.

·
Registered
204 Posts
blue88mustang said:
Very doubtful that it will make any difference. Please note that I am NOT a tuner, so I can't say for sure.

I am pretty sure John will sell just the MAF to TB pipe, however I am not sure how much he will charge for just the power pipe.

HTH.
As blue88mustang said above, I AM NOT A TUNER, however I DO think it could slightly change your tune. If you are running nitrous (I think that was in your sig), then you know the slightest change is magnified.
As for the pipe being sold seperately, let me know if this happens. I was told NO about 2 months ago, so I went ahead and ordered the complete setup last week.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I was running the stock setup with an NX 100 shot. I bought and installed the full cai from Denscharger. No difference in anything. I also moved the nozzle from it's original location (2" in front of the TB) to about 3" after the mass air meter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It will have no noticeable effect. If you want to get picky, that Densecharger does change the airflow through the MAF, so it could stand to be retuned if you're anal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've heard the DC actually leaning it out somewhat, due to a slight relocation and angle of the MAF, I dunno how drastic of a change this is...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, leaning it out isn't a bad thing... the bad thing is detonation. When you change the way air flows through the MAF, you affect the air/fuel ratio. Rich: you lose power. Lean: you gain, but you might lean it out to the point it always pings.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You need to be careful. Your car will not allow you to lean out for normal driving. In closed loop it continuously corrects itself to target a 14.64:1 a/f ratio. So lets say you are now blowing through more air than the stock set up (which you probably are). The car is running leaner, but the EEC knows to adjust a/f by up to 25% to fix that lean nature and keeps it at 14.64:1.

Now comes the bad news......what ever it learns in closed loop is applied at WOT. This means it dumps in fuel by the same percentage assuming it needs to correct the lean situation. Each year model handles it a little different so there is no one hard and fast rule to how much and where the additional fuel is applied at WOT, but it is a fact that it could cause some unfortunate side effects. It is best to check it out at WOT with a wideband to know for sure if you have an issue.

Chris

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys! Lots of different inputs.

So Chris, it sounds like you're saying that it would cause the car to run a little richer at WOT if it needs to compensate in closed loop? Am I getting that right? If so, I don't imagine that it could affect it THAT much, and being a little rich never hurt anyone. Though it would indeed affect the tune that's in it now?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Yes, you are correct. It would be richer. While it will not hurt your car, it will hurt your performance. I have seen guys make an extra 10 to 20 rwhp due to better WOT tuning to lean it out a bit more from stock settings. If you are adding 10% to a stock 11.5:1 a/f due to your densecharger, then you will be very rich and could lose 10 to 20 rwhp.

The key is knowing a/f ratios and fuel trim. If you know your fuel trim is adding 10% and you now are at 10.5:1 a/f at WOT, then a chip could be burned to take to to 12.5:1 a/f and you win in every respect.

Chris

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now all this can happen even with the Autologic dyno-tuned chip already in the car right? Now I feel a little ignorant for not really knowing:rolleyes: I just didn't know if it was noticed that I do have a good tune right now with an Autologic chip with different programs for N/A and the nitrous. Thanks for the info Chris!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey Mike!
Great numbers after the n2o, I am getting my heads installed by Jason this month after new valves, springs, reground cams, p/p.
I miss the car! We are on our way to Mexico so this is short, awesome numbers-I'll bet it feels like a new car.
Greg

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
It wont hurt you tune.I just installed the tbody to mass pipe.I had a dyno just last week to se if it helped or hurt.My a\f stayed (12.5~12.7 across the board)the same and i picked up 2rwhp and torque stayed the same.
Mine was tuned by jms and i love it.I felt better throttle response from the pipe,wasnt worried about gaining power just loosing.I gained so im happy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input white99gt. That is what I like to see... real world affects. BTW, those are some SWEET numbers you have there. I think I'll be doing the switch from JBAs to BBK LTs sometime next year.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Mike,

The fact that you have a chip is immaterial. In addition, a 99 GT is much different from a 97 GT and a dyno is not real world. The fuel systems are entirely different and so is the way adaptive fuel is applied.

As I said in my first post, be careful. It is not black and white. It COULD be affected for the reasons I stated. The ONLY way to know is to check it to find out. Also, keep in mind that a densecharger has little affect on a dyno and works works much different on the street.

The only way to know for sure is on the street with a wideband. Not a dyno and never after a fresh disconnect of the battery.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts