Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the A/C will still work in my 85 if I take out the computer? I dont care at all about the emissions side of things but cant figure out if the Air Conditioning compressor will still cycle if I take out the computer. The Hanes wiring diagram doesnt go into enough detail for me to find out. I wish the car was running at the moment and I could find out in about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What computer?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The carb'd cars have a very basic computer in the passenger side kick pannel called a TSAD. It stands for Two Speed Accessory Drive. It's just for controlling the emissions crap on the carb'd cars. There is a wire that runs to it that has to do with the WOT cutout A/C relay and one that has to do with the A/C pressure switch. You can remove the computer without any detremental effects on A/C. Let me get my Helm book and get back to you...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
There is a TSAD module in the pass kick pannel. There is a TSAD controller in the driver's side somewhere.

PIN 46 on module is from TSAD controller
pin 57 on module is also from TSAD controller and drom ignition switch. It's Grey/yellow-power
Pin I on module- same as pin 57
pin 16 on module goes to the starter relay. No effects if removed.
pin 59 on module is the tach input. AKA igniton pulses.
pin 17 on mod is one side of coolant temp sensor
pin 7 on mod is other side of coolant temp sensor
**7/17 are not main coolant sensor circuit
pin 18 on mod is ground
pin 60 on mod is ground
pin 54 on mod is EEC test
pin 20 is ground
pin 43 is EEC Test Connector
pin 8 on mod is another ground
pin 3 on mod is input form a/c heater controls
pin 51 on mod is another input form a/c heater controls

**3/51 are just inputs for the TSAD, no effects if removed

PINS 57/1 are spliced into the a/c compressor control. These will not effect the A/C if removed. You still have the circuit from the ignition to the A/C clutch control via the splice. They are all GREY/Yellow power wires going in different directions. The splice is after a 18 Gage brown fuse link.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The TSAD controller has a circuit that looks like it's part of the clutch switch. I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know what will happen if it's removed. There is a connector on the passenger fender that's part of this circuit. It's black with 4 connnectors. The R/BK hash marks is one of the clutch switch wires and the W/LB hash marks is the other.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see the 4-wire connector you're talking about. I'm a little confused on the splice part you're trying to explain. Is it allready spliced or do I need to splice something?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
UK85GT said:
I can see the 4-wire connector you're talking about. I'm a little confused on the splice part you're trying to explain. Is it allready spliced or do I need to splice something?

No I wasn't saying that anything needs to be spliced in. I was just saying that there is a splice in the harness where pins 57&1 meet three other wires. The total of five wires are all Grey/Yellow. They are power wires. If you remove the TSAD, there will still be a circuit for the 3 wires left ( 5 wires minus wires on pins 57 &1 ) via the splice. Does that help.

I can scan and send you the specific pages out of the Helm book if you want. It won't be until later if not tomorrow though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you say it'll work then I'll take you're word for it. I'm not going to throw the computer away, just in case something odd circumstance pops up to where I'll need it. It's just hoing to be a few months until the car hits the road again.

thanks,

·
Registered
254 Posts
hmmmm I have had my 82 Capri RS 5.0L HO apart a few times. I have never found a TASD or any other thing behind either kick panel. maybe it was only on 4 barrel cars although I did have a WOT AC cutoff but it was controled by a switch that was opned at WOT. This killed power to the AC clutch.

No puter there.......

Allen

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
93 LX said:
hmmmm I have had my 82 Capri RS 5.0L HO apart a few times. I have never found a TASD or any other thing behind either kick panel. maybe it was only on 4 barrel cars although I did have a WOT AC cutoff but it was controled by a switch that was opned at WOT. This killed power to the AC clutch.

No puter there.......

Allen
My Helm manual doesn't specify 5.0L HO or 4 cyl for the TSAD. I have no idea what year of car it started in. The TSAD sits in the exact place that the EEC sits in EFI cars. If you had one, you can't miss it behind the kick pannel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts