Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now my suspension is kind of a mess but I figure it should hook better than it does.

Up front Im running 00 v6 springs, no swaybar, and fox GT monroe sensitrack struts (needed fox struts when car was lowered). I will go with coilovers and the proper struts sometime or another but not yet.
Ive got 15x6 prostars w/ 215/65 tires

In the back Ive got some UPR poly-bushed LCA's, monroe fox shocks, 00v6 springs.

Back there I got 15x8s and some L60 (275/60) american racer tires (bias ply, fairly soft tread). I know these wont hook like slicks but I know I should be able to get down to 1.9 60's at least.

With this set up the back sits up kind of high and the front dosnt even lift very well (was better with my 265/50 radials that couldnt grip for crap). so I dont think it has the "leverage" to lift the front much, and Im debating cutting my rear springs a bit to level it out.

BUT. I want to know If I would be better with either one of the above listed control arms than what I have. Also, do either or both of them lower the rear a bit(before I go cutting springs I need to know).
Which of the 2 would be a better choice. The lakewoods are cheaper and I like how they have that bar that attaches to the axle and is supposed to help lift the front end. But I have heard that the Megabytes are pretty good for handling/braking as well.

Ive got some subframes that I need to get welded on and a pair of Competition Engineering drag shocks Im putting on in a few minutes. I also plan to put the battery in the trunk pretty soon.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I would try the lakewoods...they will help lower the rearend of the car without cutting the springs. I run the lakewoods on my coupe...best 60' of a 1.48 on slicks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A friend of mine put some megabite jrs on his GT and they really didnt help him out that much. I heard you need to have the adjustable uppers along with them to make a difference.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im kind of interested in some adjustable uppers but need more information on some things.

Are the double adjustable with rod ends noisy?

How easy are they to change? I did lowers And that wasnt that big of a deal but...

If I get single adjustable (saw some with poly bushing rather than rod end, I dont want noise) How hard would it be to get them right ? (on/off/on off).

And probably most importantly HOW TO CHECK PINION ANGLE? I know a drive on lift is pretty much a must (no biggie) but as far as how to measure it? Ive read something but it just kind of blew my mind so Ive put it off for the time being. I dont want to have to remove the Driveshaft and a do a bunch of crazy junk to do it. isnt there a way to just stick on the magnetic angle finder thing?

Oh, And can tire sizes affect pinion angle? I wonder how mine is currently being that it wont hook for crap.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
92coupeLX. was this guy on street tires, slicks, DR's or what. Auto/stick?

·
Registered
894 Posts
He runs on nittto drag radials and it is a 5 speed car. His 60's have really stayed the same before and after. He has cut a best of 1.77 on drag radials but he averages in the 1.8's to 1.9s.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id be happy as hell with that but If you say that was no improvement for him then I still dont know. Im leaning to the lakewoods, or if I can get the HPMs cheap.

I need the info on the uppers/ pinion angle deal though because maybee thats my whole problem.

·
Registered
811 Posts
How about South Side Machine lift bars? I run them and they hook pretty good on the track. A couple of 2.0's with the mods in my sig on street tires. I have yet to get adjustable uppers, that's next on my list as well as coil overs. I'm running FRPP "C" springs, so i know there is more left in her with some suspension tuning.
As far as pinion angle, i'd set it about 3.5-4.0. I'll get the link on how to do it and post it here in a sec.

EDIT - Here is the linkage: http://www.steeda.com/-techtips/pinionangle.htm

·
Registered
894 Posts
Dan - once he gets the uppers put on and the pinion angle set Im sure thats when he will be able to tell the difference. He also has cut his factory springs 2 coils. Another thing is his car makes 288 rwhp and the more horsepower you have it seems to make it eaiser to come out of the hole to me anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts