Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll have basically everything returned to stock for smog, except for the chip. The chip has the rear O2's disabled. But the chip is what recalibrates my speedo. If I pull the chip will they check and find my speedo is off?...then fail me for that?
I have no codes that I know of, bTW.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Mine passed with the supercharger & chip installed.....but that is canadian smog testing....

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
i'm curious if you would be able to pass also. i live in CA also and i know the smog laws suck around here. if you live in an area that requires enhanced smog(smog ll) then they do hook to the code scanner slot(don' know what it's called) and check the computer.

i took a civic to get smogged and that did just that, but it's all stock. i asked the tech if it would pass smog if there's a chip and he said no b/c their system would know and not pass the car. i not 100% sure about that though.

on the other hand, when i got my '90 smogged a month ago, my speedo wasn't even working right. it was bouncing all over the place, but i asked the tech beforehand if that would be a problem and he said not at all. i suggest you go to a small shop and ask first if it would be a problem and go from there. ask about the chip also. let them know first so they can suggest if you can pass or not. let me know how it goes, i'm interested if the chip would be a problem b/c then a lot of CA guys will run into the same problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
don't know about ca but here in tennessee they just pluged in the obd and if you have no codes you are fine. i have an autologic chip for my gears too and they didn't say anything.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've got two chips on my kitchen counter to test just this. DMP contributed two chips to me, one Autologic one Diablo Sport, with the rear O2's turned off. I havent got around to doing the test and posting the results. But here's what I THINK will happen. Get a code scanner and pull the OBDII I/M monitors. I know you wont have the P0420 and P0430 low cat efficiency codes because the test if turned off. But if the OBDII monitor shows ready also you are good to go I believe. I just dont see how the monitor can show that as the test is not running, thats why I've got the chips (and I own my own scanner). I know a guy passed in Atlanta GA with a chip with the rear O2 tests turned off. I have absolutely no idea if GA tests the I/M monitors or not. It would SEEM that every state would check these though, hell its pretty basic. If they can read codes they can scan the I/M monitors. Here in TX it clearly states the status of EVERY OBDII I/M monitor on my emissions report. I will post this data as soon as I have it though...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I smogged yesterday and passed with unbelievable numbers. I pulled the chip the day before and did some driving beforehand. I was worried that when they scan for codes, they would get a no response code from the rear O2's. That JMS chip makes a huge difference in power with the way my car is set up now. Didnt seem to work all that great when I had the LT's and other intake tube stuff on there, though. Checking the speedo wasnt even an issue with them. But good lord does the smog check take a long time now. Guy seemed to run it through a bazillion checks. Took like 1/2 an hour.
Anyway, I dont remember the numbers exactly, but the HC ppm limit was like 55, and I got 5. CO, I got 0, some other number, I was allowed 750ish, and I got like 40. Makes me wonder if Royal purple's claims of reducing emmisions is true. Thats the only oil I run.:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you tested did you have long tubes on the car? I too am getting ready to smog mine (I have to put the stock h-pipe back on) but I'm VERY interested in getting long tubes but don't want to have to take off put on every other year. :(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve J said:
When you tested did you have long tubes on the car? I too am getting ready to smog mine (I have to put the stock h-pipe back on) but I'm VERY interested in getting long tubes but don't want to have to take off put on every other year. :(
No, I didnt have LT's on the car, cause I wouldnt have passed a visual check. I'm not putting the LT's back on anyway cause I'm too lazy. They're for sale, BTW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts