Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Maryland and we have emissions. I'm getting ready to buy a set of heads but can't decide on regular TFS or the Track heats. Is the only difference the springs and emissions stuff. Do they both flow exactly the same. How much lift do the regular ones handle. Please help so I can put my order in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't know about the sate of Maryland, but here in PA.., we do emission test on dyno, if the cylinder heat does not have exhaust heat / gas crossover, you will not pass the test, because of NOX emission will go to the roof, unless if you got 94 or 95 Mustang 5.0 EGR setup then you can pass the emission test because the EGR valve gets it's exhaust gas from passenger side headers not from cylinder head like early model.

I have done that more than 5 times, believe me, NOX emission will hit the roof. if the cylinder head does not have exhaust gas cross over. On early model EGR valve gets it's exhuast gas from cylinder thru the intake manifold [ 1/4 size hole in the middle of intake manifold].

·
Registered
241 Posts
i live in pikesville. i passed emissions EASILY with my tfs headed 342, 222/232 @.050" cam and ported rpm intake. i kept the egr functioning properly as stated earlier. the air injection in the back of the head you can do without. you will need it to the cats though. i just routed mine straight to the cats, no diverter valve so it pumps air constantly. i dropped the fuel pressure and turned the timing back till it ran like a slug. it passed so easily it wasn't even funny. next time i'm going with a bigger cam.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Stang88 said:
if the cylinder heat does not have exhaust heat / gas crossover, you will not pass the test, because of NOX emission will go to the roof, I have done that more than 5 times, believe me, NOX emission will hit the roof. if the cylinder head does not have exhaust gas cross over.
few years back i ran gt40P heads which were not drilled for the cross over tube and passed smog, this was with stock and crane 2031 cams and running mac high-flow-cat h-pipe
i now run 6037 heads and plugged the back of the heads because that tube is a pita (cleaner look) and i still pass emissions
so maybe there was something else wrong with your car, which you weren't aware of

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
by the way, the test was also on a dyno

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
fast89 said:
i live in pikesville. i passed emissions EASILY with my tfs headed 342, 222/232 @.050" cam and ported rpm intake. i kept the egr functioning properly as stated earlier. the air injection in the back of the head you can do without. you will need it to the cats though. i just routed mine straight to the cats, no diverter valve so it pumps air constantly. i dropped the fuel pressure and turned the timing back till it ran like a slug. it passed so easily it wasn't even funny. next time i'm going with a bigger cam.
If you werent running the line in the back of the heads, what were you using to pump to the cats? The line in the back of the heads goes to the smog pump, which ( I think) then goes to the cats.

I agree, you dont need a smog pump/lines in the back of the heads to pass emissions. You could even pass w/o cats if the car was detuned good, but it should pass w/ cats & no smog.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
No there is no difference in flow or performance at all between the two heads. The only difference is that the Track heads have stouter springs for BIG cams and they don't have provisions for emissions. Unless you're running a cam with over .550 lift save the money and get the regular TW heads, not to mention you won't have to worry about the emissions

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. I will just go with the regular ones then.

THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
stangdsm said:

few years back i ran gt40P heads which were not drilled for the cross over tube and passed smog, this was with stock and crane 2031 cams and running mac high-flow-cat h-pipe
i now run 6037 heads and plugged the back of the heads because that tube is a pita (cleaner look) and i still pass emissions
so maybe there was something else wrong with your car, which you weren't aware of

Not my car, No I don't think anything is wrong with it, PA smog controls are tough. We monitor nox more than co and hc, every year or two the limits of NOX , CO and HC gets lowered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts