Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was considering running some high octane gas, maybe 118, so I could run a little more timing. Only at the track, using a seperate program w/EEC Tuner. Would this limited time using high octane LEADED gas screw up any sensors, etc.? Testing would be done on a chasis dyno.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What kind of leaded are you going to use? The only applications where leaded gas is legal for sale is sanctioned racing events and aviation.

It wouldn't be too hard to get your hands on some 100 low lead, but even the "low lead" has way more lead than leaded car gas ever did. You risk your O2 sensors and could potentially short out your plugs if a globule of lead comes out of suspension and bridges the plug gap.

Are the high octane race fuels like Turbo Blue 118 leaded? I thought the used other additives to get that high...

·
Registered
73 Posts
O2 Sensors won't like the lead, and if you still have cat's there not going to like it at all.

RED01GT

·
Registered
27 Posts
yet again my disclaimer. "I am no genius" but what I always heard is, the Lead from the fuel will coat your O2 sensors and they wont be able to read the rich/leaness. I would not run it if you have cats at all, they will plug. If you dont have cats then run it. I have always run it in my Windsor when I was using Nitrous. Only because it has almost 12:1 compression. After running lead, trun normal unleaded and that should burn the lead off the O2 sensors and you will be fine. I guess as long as you just run it at the track. Then run unleaded for awhile you will be fine. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you dont have alot of compression you dont need the high octane. It will slow your car down.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do not do it. The lead will in fact ruin your O2 sensors. You need unleaded high octane.

·
Registered
789 Posts
LEAD

You will kill your CATS

·
Registered
110 Posts
1st rule I learned with race gas is use the lowest octane that will allow correct timing advance without detanation. 118 you'd never add enough timing to make up for the loss of power from the slow burning fuel. I tried C-12 mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with 93 and lost power due to too much octane. I usually try to mix it to a rate of 100-102 by using VP-110 and 93(about 50/50). My 1st attempt with race gas was C-16 and 1gallon of 93 it bucked down the track and only ran 99 in the 1/4(down from the week before from 117).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.