Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a couple weeks away from purchasing my first mustang. It's a 90 musang gt with 75k miles and completely stock. What i had a question about is that it has never been on a dyno and i was wondering what should be done to get in top shape for a couple dyno runs. I want to put down some stock numbers as a baseline so i don't really want to do anything major to the car. I've heard a tune-up would be good to do and i will plan on doing it and since this is my first car i am not really fimialar with al that is involved in a tune-up, can someone help me and just give a list or something of all the parts? i know a plugs, wires, but thats about all i know of at this point. And any other suggestins on anything else that could help me out.
Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
for a good tune up here's what you should do:

change oil. let it drain for 20 minutes (remember to drain from BOTH holes) and put *5 QUARTS* in. no more and no less :) don't forget to change the filter too.

change the fuel filter. it's in the back of the car near the gas tank. easy to change.

change spark plugs and spark plug wires. don't use any of those fancy spark plugs, just get regular old Autolites or Motorcraft and gap them to .54 (i think, somebody correct me if i'm wrong)

change your air filter. either just a stock replacement one or a K&N panel replacement.

check the TPS voltage. do a search to find out how to do this.

there's probably some more things that you can do and i'm sure somebody will post some more stuff.

my stock '91 5.0 put down 199 rwhp and 266 rwt. that was with 2 cracked spark plug wires and a dead cylinder. i'm sure a nice fresh 5.0 would put down at least 220 rwhp, but then again, they seem to all be different so don't get your hopes up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
my stock '91 5.0 put down 199 rwhp and 266 rwt. that was with 2 cracked spark plug wires and a dead cylinder. i'm sure a nice fresh 5.0 would put down at least 220 rwhp, but then again, they seem to all be different so don't get your hopes up.
220 rwhp on a stock 5.0???

·
Registered
65 Posts
why not? if my stock 5.0 put down 199 with cracked spark plug wires and a dead cylinder i wouldnt see why not.

i figure 10 horsepower for the cracked wires and another 10 for the dead cylinder (dead as in rings are bad and it's burnin oil like a mofo')

i think 220 is possible.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
SkaRokS said:
why not? if my stock 5.0 put down 199 with cracked spark plug wires and a dead cylinder i wouldnt see why not.

i figure 10 horsepower for the cracked wires and another 10 for the dead cylinder (dead as in rings are bad and it's burnin oil like a mofo')

i think 220 is possible.
You put down 199 rwhp with a BONE stock 91, 5.0, missing a cylinder?:lol:

Bone stock meaning no advanced timing, no removed silencer and everything stock?

Anyway, a dead cylinder would cost you more than 20hp. It would be more like 35hp so next time tell people a stock 5.0 will put down 235rwhp:rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
ok ok. no air silencer and 12* timing. so what would that give me, like 8 rwhp mabye?

and if i'm losing 35 horsepower from the "missing" cylinder, that STILL comes out to 226.

SORRY. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a completely stock 5speed car so i am not expecting much i will be very happy will something close to 200rwhp and maybe 270rwtq.
Would it be even worth getting a replacement k&n or should i just leave it well alone since i will be in the the future getting a cold air kit. I want to make some numbers that are completely stock, i mean everything is stock or stock replacement to see what numbers it would make more or less from the factory with 75k miles on it.
O and u guys know that stock 5.0s made 225hp and 300tq. Just a fyi if ya didnt know, because i can't see a stock 5.0 making anything close to that in the rear wheels, but i maybe be wrong i just haven't ever seen it.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Good luck with your purchase of the 90 GT. I am sure you will enjoy it alot. They are such fun cars to drive and cheap to modify. I remember a class mate back in high school who was lucky enough to have his parents buy him a brand new 85 GT 5spd. The car was white with a red interior. I fell in love with that car and finally bought my first and present 90 5.0 LX hatch in fall 2000.

As for the dyno testing, if I had a newly purchased stock 5.0 and was down on bucks, I would not put the money in a dyno test. Sure it would be cool to know the exact output of the engine, but this will not make the car any faster.

Here are some affordable mods that I did to my 90 when it was stock and the times it ran.

Baseline - 2.73 gears, 5spd, 13 degree timing, removed air silencer, 2 1/2" FlowMaster cat back from prev. owner, Hurst short throw and underdrive crank and wp pulleys from prev owner, rock hard 2356015 radials I bought in 1989 for a previous car. Car ran 14.40 @ 98 mph

Added short belt, 3.27 rear end from an automatic car. Car ran 14.20 @ 97

Added G6015 American Racer tires [email protected]

Added 3.73 geared rear end from Turbo Coupe Tbird. Could not improve on 3.27 geared time, but did not do very aggressive burn outs.

Good luck with your new purchase. Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts