Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if stock AOD will go into OD at WOT in factory form? If so at what rpm range will it do it? If not what mod needs to be done to make it shift into OD?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
The stock AOD will not shift into OD @ wot, that is the last thing you want.

Why would you want it to shift into OD? You will burn up the tranny in no time. Also if you were to let off so it shifted into OD, and then stomped on it, the kickdown cable would bring it back out.

If you can tell me why you would want to do this, maybe I could offer some suggestions ;)

Ian

·
Registered
24 Posts
no way you want that man.....when i was getting rid of my aod that was on its last leg for a new one i took it out and got it about to 100 or so. then let off the gas and it went into od. then i put it to the floor slowly and it didnt come out of od. i got it up to about 140 or so. it lasted about another week then it was gone man...didnt mind thouigh cause i had my new tranny waiting to be put in. bottom line is DONT do it.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
88COBRA said:
Why would you want it to shift into OD? If you can tell me why you would want to do this, maybe I could offer some suggestions ;)

Because with 3.73's, You will be at 5200RPM in 3rd gear at 105MPH. If you want to go any faster, you need to let off the gas, shift to OD and basically try not to floor it while the guy racing next to you is wondering why you can barely make it over 100MPH before your car dies off

Downside to gears in an AOD car...you only have 3 to go WOT with..and your top speed is reduced

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yes, you can make it do it, by doing some small mods to the valve body.. But, like the guys above have stated, the OD band is only 1" wide and will toast itself in no time. It is even worse if you let off and let it shift then step back down a little. That just slips it in and out........

BTW, according to the MPH calculator here at the corral, 6250 with 3.73's, 235-60-15's and and aod equals 130 mph, not 105
:confused: My car always managed to hit the rev limiter after I installed the gears.......

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Ludicrous Speed said:
BTW, according to the MPH calculator here at the corral, 6250 with 3.73's, 235-60-15's and and aod equals 130 mph, not 105
:confused

Not mine. Of course my motor is just bolt ons and with 90,000 miles, i only rev to 5500 tops. Besides, stock motors are running out of steam by then.

I trap 98MPH in the 1/4 mile...and i'm at about 5000RPM or so when i pass the line in 3rd. No way would i make it close to 130MPH in 3rd. That's with 235/45/17's too

·
15,473 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I wanted to know is I have a set of steep race gears just collecting dust and was gonna stick it in the 86GT just for ****s and giggles to see what it would do. But if no WOT in OD then its way too much for 1/4 passes.

BTW The formula to figure top speed is:

tire diameterX.003XRPM/final gear ratio=MPH

3rd gear in AOD is 1-1 so the rear gear would be the physical gearing in rearend.

Ex:
26X.003X5500/3.73= 115.01 Your top speed in D with 3.73 gears and 26" tires.

If OD was applied it would go like this:
26X.003X5500/2.499=171.66 Top speed in OD (ratio in AOD OD is .67 which is multiplied to rear gear 3.73X.67=2.499)

Of course the top speed of 171 would take mega HP to overcome the aerodrag etc etc.. but this is just an example.

Anyways guess I wont be chancing the OD as this tranny works perfectly and this is a low budget operation that would die with the DOA of the AOD.

Thanks for advice....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts