Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
In my opinion it won't. 18 inch street tires are very difficult to get a good launch out of. It isn't your flywheel that is making it difficult, its the tires. You need to slip you clutch like crazy to get moving without spinning the tires too much, and keep the rpms up. Changing to an aluminum flywheel won't change the fact that you need to get really good at modulating your clutch to find that fine line between traction and spin at the track.
An aluminum flywheel may help you at the top end however, as it obviously weighs less and that can contribute to less horsepower loss through the drivetrain. I think Ron99Cobra trapped higher with his aluminum flywheel.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You are correct in thinking that an aluminum flywheel will shock the tires less. A lighter flywheel carries less inertia. It will help your traction problem (probably not by much) and also let the motor rev faster.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, an aluminum flywheel will shock the tires less but it won't help his problem. You can shock the tires as much or as little as you want depending on how you slip the clutch. I can use a flywheel that weights 25lbs and not slip the clutch at all and spin the tires like crazy. Or I can use a flywheel that weighs 75lbs and slip the clutch a lot so I only feed to the rear tires the amount of power they can handle without spinning and be just fine. The launch characteristics of an aluminum flywheel are only advantageous in extreme situations, such as if you spin slicks off the line, or break input shafts a la Bob Cosby. Just use the clutch more, or better yet, get sticky tires. I don't think an aluminum flywheel will help your 60 foot by more than half a tenth - its not worth it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so if there is little to be gained with one what is there to lose other than the car slowing down faster when I let off??

Also thinking of getting an aluminum driveshaft. I know all these things are little gains but all I'm after right now is about two or three tenths.

Jason.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You are not going to lose anything running on street tires. As traction losses will keep the engine up in the RPM band.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.