Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new JL Audio 10W3 D6 in a stealthbox and a new Rockford Fosgate 300s amp.

The amp pushes 300Wx1 Continuous RMS
The sub is rated to handle 250Wx1

Will this sub blow up or do they under rate these things? Should I keep the gains all the way down?

The amp has a remote bass control, so I can keep it from full power, if that would be needed.

Thanks,
James Ayton, Jr.

·
Registered
73 Posts
at what ohm does that amp push 300 watts 2 or 4?

the sub can be wired as 3 or 12 ohms. obviously you will want to wire it as 3ohms. if the amp does 300 watts at 4ohms, then you will see a little bit more than that out of it since the sub will present a 3ohm load, just the opposite is true if it puts out 300watts at 2ohms. you will see a little less than 300 watts. Either way your sub will be fine. Distortion KILLS subs, not necessarily too much power.

the proper way to set gains is to set your radios bass/treb/mid to neutral or 0. turn the radio up as loud as you plan to play the system, which is usually 2/3 volume or slightly higher. pump some bass and turn up the gains until you hear distortion, then back the gains down until it goes away. don't touch the gains anymore!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the amp is 300x1 bridged 4 ohms.

Hope to have it all done by this upcoming weekend!

Thanks,
James Ayton, Jr.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
A 50 watt rms amp could blow that speaker. A 1000 watt rms wouldn't blow that speaker. The only difference being how they were setup and used. Distortion is the biggest killer of speakers, not power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts