·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought a cobra gauge cluster out of a 98 cobra. The plugs fit but when I turned on the key all the gauges went haywire so sorry to tell you but they wont work.:(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
call x2cmotorports, 818 901 8000. talk to mark. I think he did it on his car, ask him...
tell him nate sent you

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are changing just the gauges no, because the max RPM on the 96-98 is 8,000RPMS and 94-95 is 7,000RPMS. If you are changing the entire gauge cluster/pod, then I believe you would have to change something in your computer. I've heard of people doing this, but I don't know if they really got it to work properly.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
the 96+ cars are ODBII which i'm sure communicates to the gauge pod a little differently than our cars.. but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've got a 95 cobra gauge cluser in my 94 GT. It works great and bolted right in. The only thing is my oil pressure gauge doesn't work afterwards. I didn't worry about it though since the stock oil pressure gauge sucks and i am using aftermarker gauges. Other than that it worked great.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you get the 95 Cobra gauge cluster from? Everywhere I checked wanted too much money for it, like 350.00. Where as I can find the 96 ones as low as 50 bucks. How much did you buy yours for?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
i paid 150 for it used off the corral here. came in and was in great condition took me about 10 minutes to install. I didn't want to fool with the white face gauge install so i just tbought this. Keep your eye out in the corral clasified i see them in there from time to time. usually between 150-200 bucks

Shawn

·
Registered
108 Posts
I put a 98 cobra cluster in my 94 GT a few years back. It plugged in..everything worked but the gages on the left side. I carefully pulled off the needles of both the 94 GT cluster and the 98 cobra cluster. I then installed the left side gage hardware (removed with a few screws from the rear of the cluster) from the GT cluster into the 98 Cobra cluster. I placed the needles in the correct place once it was warmed up and was full of fuel. Works awesome, plus I have an extra 1K on the tach. With a little bit of thought it will work like it came from the factory.

Let me know if you need more help.

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
My question is, how can you make the tach work when they are different RPMs?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The tach works by "beats". As long as you swap the electronics along with the gauges, it works just fine. Same with the speedo - you need the electronics.

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
There was a post on here where some guy tried to install a 98 cobra gauge cluster in his 96 gt as well. He got the temp and fuel gauges to work by swapping the electronics in the cluster itself with his. It required pulling off the needles of both clusters and swapping the guts. When I wrote the diagram i assumed the 96-98s were the same, but it seems that 96 (and maybe 97) fuel and temp circuits are different than the 98. I'm sure with a multimeter and smome time, you can trace out which wires go to where on the fuel and temp circuit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe the issue was trying to make the 96-up gauges work in the 94-95 cars due to the tach being 8000 instead of 7000.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Both Blueneonman, gt94convt, are correct in that these gauges work in our cars, 94-95. I also have the 96 cluster in my car and had to take the gas gauge out and install it in the 96 cluster but everything works fine. Blue, just rewired his which is fine, but I don't like to mess with electronics. I'm not too sure if newer years such as 97, 98 will work, but I know that the 96 works fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Blue, you have a new PM. It sounds like you might have figured out a way to make this work through re-wiring. Impressive. I guess I took the easy way out. Send me another message if you need help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts