Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to know how long (from axle to axle) an 8inch rear from a 65-68 V8 Mustang is and how long (again, axle to axle) an 8.8 rear from a 87-93

How popular is this swap for the early Mustangs?
The 8.8 is nice because it is already strong, comes with a trac-lock, and has tons of aftermarket parts available.

I know the brackets have to be grinded down and these need to be welded in:

What is the correct angle to weld these in? Can the Shelby rear arms still be used?

Oh, and are the 67-68 8" wider than 65-66? If so, by how much?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I coppied this from another topic...

From Ultrastang @ http://www.ultrastang.com/Rearinfo.asp?Page_ID=1

REAR END HOUSING WIDTHS OF VARIOUS FORD VEHICLES:

Measured from the inside of one axle tube end flange, to the inside of the opposite axle tube end flange --(where the brake backing plates bolt to the ends of the housing, and NOT taken from the wheel-flange-to-wheel-flange distance, --where the back of the wheel would mate up to the face of the drum/disk).

1. 1965-1966 Mustang 8 & 9-inch housing width: 52¼".

2. 1967-1970 Mustang 8 & 9-inch housing width: 54¼".

3. 1971-1973 Mustang 8 & 9-inch housing width: 56".

4. 1957-1959 Ford big-cars 9-inch housing width: 52¼".

5. 1960 model T-Bird 9-inch housing width: 52¾".

6. 1975-1980 Granada/Monarch 8 & 9-inch housing width: 52¼"

7. 1977-1980 Lincoln Versailles 9-inch housing width: 52¼"

8. *1957-1972 Ford pickup 9-inch housing width: 56"

9. 1973-1979 Ford pickup 9-inch housing width: 59¾"

10. 1980-1985 Ford pickup 9-inch housing width:??

11. 1966-1977 Ford Bronco housing width: 52¼"

Here's more:

http://dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/F...imensions.html

I think you would use a 4 degree pinion angle. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, thanks for the info.

I've actually seen that site, but I am trying to compare the 65-66 and 67-68 to the 87-93... I'd like to know how much wider the 8.8 is so I can see how much backspacing the would need to be added to the rear rims

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sorry about that. I didn't notice that the 8.8 wasn't on there until after I posted. Did you ask the General Mustang Tech guys what the length is on the 8.8? When u find out post it cause I now I want to know.

·
Registered
455 Posts
8.8 is the same width as the 67/68, which is 2" overall wider than the 65/66 rearend.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've hear there is about 1/8-1/4" difference between the 67-68 and the 87-93.

So on a 65-66, I could use the 8.8 along with rims that have 1 inch more BS compared to what I would normally use huh? I think that would be fine.

Also, what is the best way to ensure I am welding the mounts on at the correct 4* angle? Pinion Angle is in reference to what exactly on the pumpkin?

·
Registered
455 Posts
the 4 degree pinion angle... this is the angle of the pinion on the rear end and how it connects to the u-joint/drive shaft. Apparently the drive shaft angles down 4 degrees to attach to the u-joint. So if the pinion is at 4 degrees as well then you have less work places on the u-joint. To make sure you ahve the pinion at 4 degrees then the mounts are placed 4 degrees off. My question is not understanding this, but how do you know you are welding the new brackets on at the correct angles... thats got to take some skill.

·
Registered
580 Posts
http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/pinionangle.htm
http://restomod.us/PinionAnglePage.htm

This tells you how to check pinion angle and adjust it. I wound think you could do it the same way but without the pads welded on. Get your desired pinion angle by rotating the rear, snug everything up, recheck, tack weld the pads to the rear, remove the rear and finish off the welding. That way you would be setting pionion angle with a load on the suspension.

Just an opinion from a guy who has never done this.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Look into the ford explorer differentials, they are all 8.8" with 31 spline 5-bolt axles, and the ones from '95 and newer have disc brakes. They come with 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 gears and traction lock is common.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is that 1/4 inch longer or shorter? Longer I could do, shorter and the tires will be touching the leaf springs, I only have about 1/2 inch clearance now

I've hear there is about 1/8-1/4" difference between the 67-68 and the 87-93.

So on a 65-66, I could use the 8.8 along with rims that have 1 inch more BS compared to what I would normally use huh? I think that would be fine.

Also, what is the best way to ensure I am welding the mounts on at the correct 4* angle? Pinion Angle is in reference to what exactly on the pumpkin?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts