Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Please call me Mike
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 2 widebands (one for each bank). For a while now AFR 1 has been acting weird. for example it isn't as stable as #2 and I have been getting AFR 1 fault in tuner studios. I figured it was becuase i stablizing the idle.

I took the car for a drive last night with VEAL turned on. about 5 minutes into the drive my AFR # dropped to 7.5 and stayed there. I pulled over shut the car off waited a few seconds and started it back up. wideband booted up normally and started working for about 45 seconds and then when to 7.5 AFR. repeated the prevoius steps and this time lasted for about 10 seconds.

the MS3 doesn't use both widebands directly just number 1. I configured number 2 to be primary and proceeded on with VEAL making adjustements.

7.5 AFR is 0 volts, I have 0 volts setup for the "fault" I am running 2 Innovate LC-1s. I am going to do some trouble shooting later on (swap sensor to the other controller, check wiring, ec).

Any suggestions as far as brand and module of wideband to get. I have seen some small companies like 14point7 offer decent prices for their widebands. I am not opposed to having a guage in the car, it just has to look good and not be ricey. i am not opposed to innvote or anything just want to see what else folks are running.

cheers

·
Please call me Mike
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's just the sensor why get a new wb when you can get the Bosch sensor for under $40? Mine has never flat out died like that, rather they just read erroneously when they need to be replaced. Then again, it could be reporting 0 simply because it error-ed out (led flashing like 8 times right)
I think it is something with the controller. I may not even replace it. You really only need one sensor. The only reason you would need two is for individual injector trims. When it was working the two where with in a third of a point.

·
Please call me Mike
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Configure the controller to give you a linear output and then check the voltage in tunerstudio looking at the "all channels" tab in the real time display section. You can see the egoV and egoV2 which are the voltages.

If you aren't reading any voltage check the connections first.

If you can read voltages just fine but that sensor is always showing full rich, you probably just need to replace the sensor.

If you did actually need a whole new one I'd probably get a 14point7 unit because I want to try one and they have some that look small enough to mount the controller in the MS case.
I'm pretty sure its the sensor. when i turn the car on it goes to 14.7 afr which is what i have it programmed for. as soon as it started "reading" the afr is when it faults.I will work on it later on today

·
Please call me Mike
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know people. I checked all my wiring. Didn't change anything but turned it back on and it's working fine. I don't get it.

I will say routing the lc1 are a pain. Also one of my o2 bungs are in the "not nice " position.

I'm gonna dump another couple hundred into the wiring. Between ground lugs, gxl cable and wire wrap it doesn't take much.

If that doesn't get it I will sell what I got and get something that comes with a ready to go harness.

The ECU is fine, I love it. If I can't wire up a good harness then it's worthless. My buddy said he'd come over and help me solder everything up. He is the best at that stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Please call me Mike
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Figure I would give an update on where I was at. I have one word to descibe the issue "intemitten".

driving around town sometimes it fails and sometimes not. There isn't a ryme or reason. Although I have never seen it fail while the engine is not warmed up

I have all my new wring ordered. If looking for bulk wire I'd check out Wirebarn. Pretty good prices and you can order by the foot. He doesn't carry anything bigger than 10 gauge. That gave me a chance to buy some from corral members for my main power wires.

I was all set to order some widebands from 14point7 and then I discovered that there is a better sensor: the bosch 4.9. When researching this there is only a couple controllers that support this. One of them is Accurate Lambda Meter- ALM - Wideband Controller | LSU 4.9 | CJ125 | Lambda meter

anyone ever used anything by this company? I dont see a product I 100 percent like but figured id ask. I am going to call them tomamrow and ask some questions

·
Please call me Mike
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thanks for the information, I ordered the set of spartans. Looking at everything, it just didn't make since to spend a bunch of money on widebands (again). I thought the KISS idea was the best (keep it simple stuipid). I had ideas of sending the data over can bus and 4 widebands, lol.

With the spartans I will have a spare sensor. I'll let everyone know how they work out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.