Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a wide body kit, for a 87 - 93 Mustang? Any Web sites. Are there fiberglass fender flares out on the market.

THX

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks AMP, I appreciate your help. I am definately going to contact these sources. I have never seen a Fox with a widebody and I am thinking that is the way to go if I want something different. Too Cool...

·
Registered
522 Posts
checked out Maier's site though cant find a clear picture of their ground effects. Any one got pictures?

Also, Amp-hows it going? How San Antonio?

Been to crabby jacks or Sherlocks?
I am yrying to go down there in spring.

Any cool new spots?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey 87vert.

yeah there is a new place in town that is jumpin on the weekdays, weekends called Dukes, across 10 from USAA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might want to check with Wings West. Don't remember the site, but they have a very cool blistered fender set for the 87-93 Mustang LX. Would imagine with a little ingenuity it would work for a GT.

Dwight

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
MMFF did an install of the Maier Racing wide body fenders on a four-eyed fox body several years ago (at least 3 years ago). I have the magazine(s) that covered the mods to the car. I believe the title of the article was "Gettin' Wide". From what I remember of the article, the front fenders were a bolt-on affair but the rear quarters required some elaborate fitting, trimming, bonding, and some light sheetmetal fabrication work for the inner fenders and to brace the panels. They also had to go with a '93 Cobra rear bumper cover to get the right amount of wrap around the quarter panels. It looked awesome when it was done but was labor intensive. I believe Maier offered a 3" wide kit and a 6" wide kit.

Carson

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Flyer and Pass! For those reading that would like to see the Wings West kit here it is:

http://www.wingswest.com/products_detail.asp?page=1&id=263

The only thing to do now is research on the appropriate wheel offsets, ect. This should give me alot more clearance in the rear and front.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
just my opinion but a wide body kit on a fox looks horrible. there is a kid at school with one.deff ugly. lots of body work also

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
blckstng96 said:
just my opinion but a wide body kit on a fox looks horrible. there is a kid at school with one.deff ugly. lots of body work also
Depends on the kit. The Maier racing pieces I described just barely widened the car and they didn't have any tacked on bodywork, everything was blended very subtley. I've also seen something similar done by taking a baseball bat and prying on the fender by using the wheel/tire as a fulcrum. This, if done right, would provide just a small hint of flaring to the fenders but would give enough clearance to run a slightly wider wheel/tire package.

Maybe I'll try to dig up that MMFF issue and post some pics.

Carson

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would like to see the whole article.

If you find it can you scan it and email it out as I think putting it up online might be illeagal because of copyright laws.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
JKCOBRA98 said:
If you find it can you scan it and email it out as I think putting it up online might be illeagal because of copyright laws.
I'll try to dig it up in the next day or two, I've been working 14 hr days for the last two weeks and really haven't had the time to go digging. I tried searching the internet for images of the owners car since I remembered his name but I couldn't find anything.

Carson

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Chris! It was good to find more options.

For those following; I've had some discussions about modifications using the capri fenders. Lot's of cut and paste but tacking and welding a 1 inch flare onto stock fenders and quarters is starting to sound good. Anyone out there here of this before????

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Here is one of my old Mustangs with the Maier Stuff

Here is my first 1993 LX. I sold this in Madison, AL in 1997. Damn, I miss it. (Has Maier Racing Enterprises 1.5" Flared fenders, and Quarters):

Here is another LX with the Maier flares:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts