Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
With all the carp flying around what can y'all recommend for a good distributor??? Needs to fit Cleveland, 351M, or a 460.…
Old stock cardone remans and hope it was rebuilt before everything went China lol. You can still find a decent supply of old stock for those motors though just check the shaft measurements and run out on them.

the fox body tfi stuff is hard to find because only standard makes the majority of it now and it cross references so many other ford cars and trucks so supply dried up. Trying to find a decent pip/stator is damn near impossible for the distributor mounted tfi's. All the parts stores brands are low end reboxed standard parts even Napa now... Wells used to be good but the last the duralast/Wve-wells I ordered from autozone was drop shipped from standard. Got a cheap white box, made in china forecast part inside a duralast box with wells paperwork. I've been buying old stock stuff from eBay the last few years from brands that used to be mostly us/mexico. All I know is when they farm it out to India in search of even cheaper labor next, its really going to suck.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
With all the carp flying around what can y'all recommend for a good distributor??? Needs to fit Cleveland, 351M, or a 460.…
You can also use any 351W distributor, if you change the gear. So consider the best 351W unit, and swap your Cleveland gear onto it. That is the only difference between those. I've noticed the difficulty many have had with older Fords, on the Torino forum, and most of them go to either a used one, or the 2-3 brands which Rock Auto or NAPA etc, can get for the older engines. They generally go with a model using the ignition systems from the late 70's and through the 80's kind. That's all what came before the EECIV and roller cams etc. So it's either those or the TFI type of the 90's, or jump past to the aftermarket EFI, or the Explorer DIS(no distributor and two coils).

Reactions: Werecow91
21 - 22 of 22 Posts