Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jaw Wood Gesture Finger Artifact

Had the end fall off of a standard motor products rotor today and of course my car would barely run and was backfiring... Had to clean a bunch of melted plastic and a rotor end out of the distributor. That's what i get for using cheap junk.

Reactions: LilRed86

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually that rotor came out of my 95, same rotor it made 560whp on.. I was cruising home from the shop and the car fell on its face and started backfiring and sputtering. I looked at the rotor a few months ago when I replaced a plug wire and it looked fine. My guess is when the end fell off, the spring strap wasnt making contact correctly with the center which caused the black arching. That rotor has probably 8k miles on it. Its a standard motor products brand. I ordered a motorcraft cap and rotor yesterday which should be in today. Crazy part is the car would still start and idle but as soon as I would touch the gas, it sounded like i was on a 2 step.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? Dang.
I usually use motorcraft but IIRC, the motorcraft ones were a week out and I needed something for the dyno so I used a standard. I should have replaced it. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing thats crazy is the end and cap terminals has very little wear. I dont use an MSD or anything, just a stock style coil. Hoping the motorcraft lasts longer than 8k but ill be inspecting it on a regular basis for now on just to be safe. Ive never seen a rotor fail like that before. Ill most likely get a cheap one to throw in the glove box with my spare TFI incase I have that happen again. Ill at least be able to get it home without needing a tow truck.

Reactions: Ilusivefox

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I'm not the only one to have that failure. I'm definitely going to keep a spare in the glove box from now on. Thanks for sharing @Michael Plummer

Reactions: Michael Plummer

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I compared standard and a motorcraft rotors today. They are quite different. I highly doubt standard makes motorcraft rotors.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With all the garbage PIPs, caps and rotors and distributor gears out there, may as well keep a whole spare distributor in the car.

Looks like the options are either go COP or replace distributor parts every few thousand.
I have been able to source a few motorcraft du50 pip sensors for the 94/95 dizzy. I've replaced them in 3 distributors i have plus a friends. I don't keep one in the car unless i go on a long trip. So far both of them have lasted but mine only has about 5k miles on it so far. His is daily driven. He was going through tfi modules every couple months until i convinced him to get a motorcraft and it's been good since. I think the fox guys are worse off, they haven't been able to find motorcraft pips for a while now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts