Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I hate to see that, Standard used to be among better brands. But that was in the 70's and 80's, everything is different now, and not much for the better.

It might be time to convert to a COP or DIS ignition, and toss the dist. ;)

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It looks like the plastic failed where it holds the inner sprung(bent) steel piece in place. That spot is probably the weakest link, best to inspect that plastic there on every rotor. I wonder if an epoxy plastic would adhere to it there to lock it in more securely.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have a spare TFI from BWD for my old car that had a miss sometimes when it got very hot. I wasn't thrilled to be choosing it then, so I put it off. Great parts are hard to come by right now.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
With all the carp flying around what can y'all recommend for a good distributor??? Needs to fit Cleveland, 351M, or a 460.…
You can also use any 351W distributor, if you change the gear. So consider the best 351W unit, and swap your Cleveland gear onto it. That is the only difference between those. I've noticed the difficulty many have had with older Fords, on the Torino forum, and most of them go to either a used one, or the 2-3 brands which Rock Auto or NAPA etc, can get for the older engines. They generally go with a model using the ignition systems from the late 70's and through the 80's kind. That's all what came before the EECIV and roller cams etc. So it's either those or the TFI type of the 90's, or jump past to the aftermarket EFI, or the Explorer DIS(no distributor and two coils).

Reactions: Werecow91
1 - 4 of 4 Posts