Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jaw Wood Gesture Finger Artifact

Had the end fall off of a standard motor products rotor today and of course my car would barely run and was backfiring... Had to clean a bunch of melted plastic and a rotor end out of the distributor. That's what i get for using cheap junk.

Reactions: LilRed86

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I hate to see that, Standard used to be among better brands. But that was in the 70's and 80's, everything is different now, and not much for the better.

It might be time to convert to a COP or DIS ignition, and toss the dist. ;)

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
Parts quality for all the typical fox tune up parts fell off a cliff. The number of vendors making parts is drying up too. Years ago you had lots of choices but now there are a handful, and probably all being made by the lowest bidder in a field with little competition.

I’m resorting to hunting eBay for NoS Motorcraft or other vendor’s parts from the 90s as I just don’t trust the new junk, especially electronics.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
From the looks of that rotor that's probably off the truck Dwain is building. Not a 86-95 fox or Sn-95 rotor. Same thing happened on my friends 95' 4.0 jeep cherokee rotor kind of same looking rotor. Yep parts quality and quality control these days going down the isht hole.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually that rotor came out of my 95, same rotor it made 560whp on.. I was cruising home from the shop and the car fell on its face and started backfiring and sputtering. I looked at the rotor a few months ago when I replaced a plug wire and it looked fine. My guess is when the end fell off, the spring strap wasnt making contact correctly with the center which caused the black arching. That rotor has probably 8k miles on it. Its a standard motor products brand. I ordered a motorcraft cap and rotor yesterday which should be in today. Crazy part is the car would still start and idle but as soon as I would touch the gas, it sounded like i was on a 2 step.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? Dang.
I usually use motorcraft but IIRC, the motorcraft ones were a week out and I needed something for the dyno so I used a standard. I should have replaced it. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thing thats crazy is the end and cap terminals has very little wear. I dont use an MSD or anything, just a stock style coil. Hoping the motorcraft lasts longer than 8k but ill be inspecting it on a regular basis for now on just to be safe. Ive never seen a rotor fail like that before. Ill most likely get a cheap one to throw in the glove box with my spare TFI incase I have that happen again. Ill at least be able to get it home without needing a tow truck.

Reactions: Ilusivefox

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Ive never seen a rotor fail like that before. Ill most likely get a cheap one to throw in the glove box with my spare TFI incase I have that happen again. Ill at least be able to get it home without needing a tow truck.
Back in 2012....this happened

For anyone who cares, MSD told me to pound sand so I never got a free replacement.......oh well but I still run their cap and rotor in my car today.

See ya
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I'm not the only one to have that failure. I'm definitely going to keep a spare in the glove box from now on. Thanks for sharing @Michael Plummer

Reactions: Michael Plummer

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
It looks like the plastic failed where it holds the inner sprung(bent) steel piece in place. That spot is probably the weakest link, best to inspect that plastic there on every rotor. I wonder if an epoxy plastic would adhere to it there to lock it in more securely.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
See how long a motorcraft rotor lasts
Standard has been making the motor craft stuff for years, most others just repackage there cheap t series line.... The sad fact of fox body stuff is all most all the ignition and electrical components these days are cheap Chinese ****. You can't find a decent stator or tfi but you can still find ok caps and rotors from old stock, I bought a bunch of us made united motor products stuff a few years ago, was still us made and had reb blue and black caps but if they followed the rest of the industry its prob from Asia now.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I compared standard and a motorcraft rotors today. They are quite different. I highly doubt standard makes motorcraft rotors.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
They do, standard is much larger then you think, They have 3 levels of quality besides there private label contract stuff. Your pic is the t series line, they also have the premium blue streak, and the white box special Oem/forecast. They also make ford motorcrafts tfi now which have been junk in my experience. They also own Bwd.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm definitely going to keep a spare in the glove box from now on.
With all the garbage PIPs, caps and rotors and distributor gears out there, may as well keep a whole spare distributor in the car.

Looks like the options are either go COP or replace distributor parts every few thousand.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have a spare TFI from BWD for my old car that had a miss sometimes when it got very hot. I wasn't thrilled to be choosing it then, so I put it off. Great parts are hard to come by right now.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With all the garbage PIPs, caps and rotors and distributor gears out there, may as well keep a whole spare distributor in the car.

Looks like the options are either go COP or replace distributor parts every few thousand.
I have been able to source a few motorcraft du50 pip sensors for the 94/95 dizzy. I've replaced them in 3 distributors i have plus a friends. I don't keep one in the car unless i go on a long trip. So far both of them have lasted but mine only has about 5k miles on it so far. His is daily driven. He was going through tfi modules every couple months until i convinced him to get a motorcraft and it's been good since. I think the fox guys are worse off, they haven't been able to find motorcraft pips for a while now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts