Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have been in need for a change for a while now. They still work okay, however I can tell they are pretty worn, and I have been driving on slightly worn brakes for a pretty long while now.

The car started making a "knock" or "clunk" very rarely when I brake. It sounds like it's coming from the front end. It doesn't always happen, only sometimes. However it has been getting much worse. It also happens at any speed, meaning it could happen when I am stopping at high speeds, however it usually happens when I am stopping at very low speeds, from like 2-20 MPH or so. I had a very intense spin out a couple weeks ago where my I hit my brakes and they locked up. Ever since it has gotten slightly worse.

I don't know if it's the brakes, or if something else is messed up down there. I know it's coming from the front. Maybe it's the suspension. All I know is that it only happens when I brake sometimes.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
MY wife's '98 V6 would make a clunk when going over road bumps and when accelerating. It was the motor mount.
Figures, just when the warranty expires the car wants to fall apart.
The noise sounded something like taking your knuckle and tapping it against the plastic trim piece on the door where your power window buttons are. I don't know for sure if that's the case with you. Your mechanic will know. Just be sure to tell him everthing you know.
Hope this helps. I couldn't explain it any better. :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete361 said:
MY wife's '98 V6 would make a clunk when going over road bumps and when accelerating. It was the motor mount.
Figures, just when the warranty expires the car wants to fall apart.
The noise sounded something like taking your knuckle and tapping it against the plastic trim piece on the door where your power window buttons are. I don't know for sure if that's the case with you. Your mechanic will know. Just be sure to tell him everthing you know.
Hope this helps. I couldn't explain it any better. :cool:
Yeah, that sounds about right. But to me it kind of sounds more like it's coming from the front end, or the dashboard area. However I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about the exact same thing. Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any ideas? I

·
Registered
184 Posts
BADDAZBLUE said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. But to me it kind of sounds more like it's coming from the front end, or the dashboard area. However I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about the exact same thing. Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any ideas? I
I hope I didn't make it sound like the noise was coming from the door. The noise does sound like it's coming from the front end (behind the dash). I was just trying to be descriptive in the sound. Good luck-:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check the Brake caliper bolts that connect together which could be loose or gone.. My cobra does this some time.. The caliper will hit the inside of the wheel and clunck around and nock.. check it out though .. later

·
Registered
184 Posts
Any news yet?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No news yet. I think it may be the swaybar bushing, or something may be loose down there in the suspension. I'm gonna get under there myself first and see if the bushing, or swaybar is messed up, and do the best I can to make sure everything down there seems tight. If I can't figure anything out then I'm just gonna take it to a mechanic.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check front subframe bolt torque

Check your front subframe bolt torque...that happened to my friends '02....maybe it is the same for yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts