Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm finishing up my heads and cam install and tonight while i was bolting up the water pump, i noticed that there wasn't much clearance between the pump and the balancer? is this normal? did i put the balancer back on wrong? i tapped it with a rubber mallet to get it started and then i put the bolt back in the crank and let it tighten the balancer the rest of the way on it. just curious if i have done something wrong or if this is just the engineering. thanks alot!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Re: why does my balancer/dampner look like it is almost touching the water pump?

white94 said:
i'm finishing up my heads and cam install and tonight while i was bolting up the water pump, i noticed that there wasn't much clearance between the pump and the balancer? is this normal? did i put the balancer back on wrong? i tapped it with a rubber mallet to get it started and then i put the bolt back in the crank and let it tighten the balancer the rest of the way on it. just curious if i have done something wrong or if this is just the engineering. thanks alot!
I actually had to take my water pump off and grind it down some to allow the balancer to fit. It's a Summit balancer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ground on one of the bosses on the WP also. It looked pretty close to me and I am running the stock balancer.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't understand that. i just put a new water pump on my car about 4 months ago and didn't notice any issues then. i mean, i have about a 1/4 inch worth of clearance, just looks close. i guess if it came off that way it will be ok going back on that way? thanks guys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
watch the engine run. if the balancer is rotating even the slightest bit off of its axis, you could start to grind material off of your timing chain cover. after i went through 2 balancers, i noticed a pinhole in my cover that was leaking oil.

/me cheers for devcon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts