Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like the title says, why do turbos cost so much? I know you have to have different headers but beyond that why do they cost more than a supercharger?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's all the custom work that has to be done such as the headers, plumbing, brackets, relocation stuff, ect...Plus there's probabably not as much of a demand for turbo setups as there is for superchargers right now because they aren't proven setups yet like the superchargers have been for so long...

·
Registered
398 Posts
also, twice as many impellars and housings for a single turbo kit vs a cent blower and 4 times as many for a twin turbo kit. cha-ching!
-tom

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I believe one of the main issues is that most turbo kits are all custom at the moment. With lousy turn around time and no one stocking anything. It makes it an unpopular choice over a supercharger, which you can get in days and install in 6-8 hours.

The turbo's themselves aren't that expensive they range from 700+ dollars all the way to several thousand each.

And then install. Were taking major time here. Install fee's become an issues because of the install times.

Turbo kits haven't been in high demand because no company can develop a product that seems to be production. Its always one here and one there and then vapor wear.
The plumbing for the kits isn't that expensive, just time consuming to develop something and then reproduce.
I've actually liked what X2C motorsports has been showing on the board. "Looks" like a simple install and setup.
Not sure if the guy that’s been on here had to change his K-member.
Price did seem a little high, but I think the price I'm referring to was for the 03 setup with the custom intake.
Someone needs to invest in developing 10 kits right off the bat. Not due the incon or TDC thing and collect money first and then try to come up with something. But to invest their own money and have the things sitting ready. (I'm sure they wouldn't sit that long)
The kits need to be simple and as universal as possible. Needs to be able to work with a Varity of chip manufactures. And as bas as it is try to work with the stock k-member setup. (not likely to happen)
Their was someone on here showing off a home made turbo kit and it sounded like he only (ONLY!) spent a few thousand. He manufactured all the parts himself.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
missouri_guy1973 said:
I'm pretty sure it's all the custom work that has to be done such as the headers, plumbing, brackets, relocation stuff, ect...Plus there's probabably not as much of a demand for turbo setups as there is for superchargers right now because they aren't proven setups yet like the superchargers have been for so long...
Note: Look at every one of Lamotta's Turbo cars. Proven!

joe

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
That may be very true but its not like we hear alot about them or see a great deal of publicity on the vehicle or the setup.
And what does proven mean? That his company has produced a few vehicles that run good and haven't blown up?
Proven as a product and a kit for the consumer to purchase.
Vortechs and Paxtons are proven, we believe this because we hear about them, see them everywhere.
Proven I think means he got a multitude of kits running around for "awhile" and on a specific vehicles like 10-20 2001 cobra's or GT's. I don't think just having 5-10 kits on race vehicle counts as proven. because I think he need to break up the hardcore racer purchasing a kit for his mustang and the common consumer whom wants something comparable to a Vortech as two different markets.

TDC got out some where around 15-20 kits worldwide before scott bailed on everyone. I know SHM had a few of the prototypes. Now saying that everyone of them went on a vehicle and ran great for years on end. Does that make the product proven? I don't think so. Proven i think is a combination of the product and the company and units sold.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That's what I meant, superchargers are proven setups for everyday consumers...There haven't been any turbo companies that have put out a kit that has been around long enough to be proven reliable...not that turbo kits in general aren't proven, I was at WFC and the more badazz cars there were turboed...

No one wants to get a turbo kit, spend 20+ hours installing it and then have problems with tuning it, not that all superchargers are easy to tune, but there are many more out there for tuners to practice on than there are turbo setups...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Here we go again..........

Ever seen a turbo guy complain that he wishes he had a blower setup?

How many turbo guys do you know that are unsatisifed with their setup?

Lousy turnaround time? PTK (http://www.proturbokits.com) promises 3-week turnaround and they do deliver.

Installation is more time consuming simply because you are installing more than just a turbo. You are doing headers and an intercooler, among other things. You could compare it to doing a S-Trim kit with say a FastTrack intercooler and BBK longtubes.

And once again, any reputable tuner should be able to tune the car. Period.

The saga continues...

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
No, I haven't heard any turbo'd mustang owner criticize his turbo install or unit for drivability in his/her vehicle. But the other thing I haven't heard that many either.

And I do agree with the reputable tuner statement. But then again, how far does some of the people on this board have to drive to find one of them? Or at least someone whom specializes in turbo tuning, compared to SC tuning?

Personally i'm all for a turbo over a SC.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
True... you might have to take a drive. I think it's a small price to pay though after you spend $25k on the car, and $5k (or whatever) on the turbo...

I do have to wonder why there aren't more turbo kits out. I guess it just isn't profitable enough (a la Incon).

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Well like my original post up top here. Incon and TDC whom I spoke with and met many of times a few years back. These companies made the statement they had a kit ready for production and sale. Once they started collecting money to produce such a unit they found that they had spent to much money of the funds collected from owners doing R&D. Finally got something produced but then didn't have enough money to buy the parts from turbonetics or spearco that customers had paid for.
While it looks like no company currently has followed suit with this type of production.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Once you've been in a well tuned turbo (or better yet, twin) car, and felt that awe inspiring torque, you'll be a believer. It's a shame no one has successfully mass-marketed a turbo kit for DOHC Cobras yet, but it'll happen. It's a LOT of work to custom fab a kit, and then get it ready for production. There are no economies of scale and if you're going to pay yourself even a reasonable rate (like enough to buy lunch) then you have to charge for it. That said, if the builder installer has some experience with this, you're also paying for that. What's the value of someone who's not experimenting on your car?

-Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
But if you look at it, its really not that much more expensive now if you have some of the supporting parts. I got a quote of $3500 for a PTK kit w/ a GT40-1, piping, mounting hardware, headers, downpipe, every little nut and bolt, hoses and clamps, intercooler, etc. All I would have needed was the fuel system, BOV, wastegate, and boost controller. I already have the tubular front end, so thats out and I don't need their chip and fuel system. So for a little more $$$, you can pick up a considerable amount of power and torque. Basically the cost of an intercooled blower, longtubes, and an intermediate pipe. Guaranteed in 3 weeks, you can't beat that either. I waited for 2 months for Paxton to finalize their tuner kit...gone but not forgotten now.

Brad

·
Registered
294 Posts
Something that hasn't been taken into consideration for the intercooler is using an 03 Cobra lower/intercooler and making an upper for it. A lot less plumbing and it works well. There are factory parts that could be used to make a turbo kit that would reduce costs and make it more standard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts