Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through all my searching, im really finding out that not only are the kits MORE expensive, but they dont even yeild much, if any gains over a stock OE system?

Why is this? I really dont see what the restriction is? I know there is the 180*bend inside the muffler the exhaust has to do, but your also eliminating the over the axle bends from the traditional setup.

Having said that, if anyone knows of where i could get a CDC side exit kit for a 99> GT, please for the love of God let me know. There is no way HELL im paying 995+shipping for their kit. Quality or not, over 1000$ for "looks" is, well, in a word.............RICE, to me!:barf:

Tony

P.S. Reason for side exits is, im going 5-link route.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The best place to get it that I've seen is over on PartShopper. They have really good customer service and shipping too...

Side exhaust seems way too expensive to me, but then again, you have to get new side rocker panels with the cutouts for the pipes...

·
Registered
287 Posts
To answer the question about power on side exhst, going straight through almost always be better (after creating back pressure with an X or H pipe).
The bend over the rear axle has very little impact on horse power because of the mandrel bends with plenty of length to smooth out the flow. Where as with a side exhst doing a 180 kills flow...period.
Dumps are great but theirs a couple issues with the 99+ gt's, 1. 99+ cars suck when it comes to lowend torque, this would most likely cause your car to be starving for more back pressure. 2. Dumps are usualy illegal because of exhst sound limits in different states for newer cars. If cops see this because it is obvious the exhst is modified.

I'm sure you will get different opinions, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
rlucky said:
.... Where as with a side exhst doing a 180 kills flow...period....

Agreed, those 180 degree bends tend to restrict the flow like rlucky said above.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, OK, say that 180* hurts that bad....

Whos to say you could not just run, say, something from the header being long tube or short, that just gradually flared out as in a straight line. Utilizing a any sort of in one side-out the other side muffler?

I did some searches and noted that some used something called a "BULLIT" type of muffler for sound deadening. What in the worlds that?

But really, see what i mean? Instead of down and back up with the traditional side exit systems, just maybe after the X or H pipe, just angle the exhaust to where you want to exit(i.e. in front of rear wheel).

Ill crawl under the car and familiar-ize myself with how it could work, and check for clearance issues.

Tony

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
2k2GT said:
Whos to say you could not just run, say, something from the header being long tube or short, that just gradually flared out as in a straight line. Utilizing a any sort of in one side-out the other side muffler?
I suppose you could do that, but you're going to have to put the muffer somewhere, and there isn't much room up front. I bet you'd be dragging it every time you hit a bump.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:D

Don't run mufflers....

:D

I don't and I have side exhaust. I just have mandrel bent 'L' shaped 2.5" pipe running off the h-pipe to the sides. there isn't a sharp bend in it at all. I Don't scrape. My side skirts actually hang lower than my pipes do.

Car sounds insanely evil.:evil:

it only cost me 60.00 to have the pipeing bent and installed with 40.00 for two dual out tips to fill in the oval shape of the SVO side skirts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Side exhaust doesnt seem to hurt the Roush at all. They regularly dyno MUCH higher than S\Ced Saleens by 15% or more running equal boost. And the non-s\ced Roushes are on par with dyno results of GT's with stock or lightly modded exhaust.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Check out Steeda

Steeda has a very nice Stainless Steel Side Exhaust kit for $750.00 and claim dyno proven 2rwhp more than a standard Flowmaster Catback system.

I have been considering it for awhile now, I just like side exhaust personally

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, the Roush system will add hp. I think it is up to 12hp. It's pricey though at $1075.00 I just saw a sale at www.fnsweet.com . Normally it was over $1200.00. Of course that includes the skirts/ground effects.

·
Registered
24 Posts
check you e mail i just sent you i think youll be pleased henry

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't think its just the Pipe thats restrictive I think the muffler is restrictive as well cause if you've seen the side exhaust before it actually does a 180 inside the muffler too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Steeda offers a side exit system which they claim not only doesnt hurt your dyno numbers, but supposedly even one-ups the Flowmaster cat-back by 2 or 3 rwhp's. That's the kit I want to get.

Where do you go about getting new side skirts to accomodate side exhaust systems? I want something that looks like it belongs, nothing even remotely ricey. Any suggestions? pics?

·
Registered
106 Posts
what about the Borla side exhaust?? does that hurt hp or not?
because i want to get the same kind of Borla exhaust found on the 2000 Cobra R...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I really need to get some pics of my system. It's completely customized and I felt like I gained some good power from it. The system go through stock headers to pro-chamber (which is cut off toward the end), then dynomax bullet mufflers are welded directly to the pro-chamber. After the mufflers I have 2.5'' piping welded to them which route around the subframe connectors and out the side. I remember a while back I calculated all the bends in the piping and it was like just a little over 90 degrees with EVERYTHING. I had to do a customized system because I have subframe connectors, and I think a customized system is best. I really need to get some pics from underneath and put them up on the website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts