Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 snake with just mac flowpaths and a k&n...nothing special...

He has an 89 LX 5.0 with an offroad h, and a 2.5 magnaflow catback with the filter as well...

He's a better driver and beats me off the line, but shouldn't my horsepower eventually over take him...

I always seem to catch him in 3rd, and then slowly overtake him in 4th...but we never race to like 80 or 90 cuz he's scared to get caught....

Is my car slow, or is just too stock?

Anthony:idunno:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Without GEARS I wouldn't be surprised:snore:... Our DOHC motors need the steep gear to keep us in power band because we make all of our power up top.

Your friends 5.0 is definately lighter than our Cobra's and is full of bottem end torque, unlike ours.

Get some gears ASAP, otherwise I wouldn't be suprised if your not pulling on GT's..:eek:

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
get gears, 4.30's minimum

·
Registered
29 Posts
With his low end torque and you racing him in his low end range of course he will win. Have him race to your high end and you will beat him every time. That is why he won't race you to 80 or 90 mph!!!;)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
96BlackSnake said:
He's a better driver and beats me off the line...
You said it all right there my friend... I takes a lot of practice and skill to take full advantage of a Cobra, especially on street tires. Take it to the strip and practice various launch techniques untill you find out what works best for your car, and your style.

The nice thing about doing it at the track is you can see how your launch affects your ET. ( meaning: look at your 60 ft times.)

And besides, then you dont have to worry about being involved in a Disco Inferno....( I love those lights!)

·
Registered
351 Posts
how much is your friend beating you by?

also, the '96 cobra was rated at 99mph in the quarter i believe. race your friend to 95-100mph and then see what happens. from my experience with my friends 97cobra vs my coupe before i got my gears his car pulled away from me at the top end (ie 3rd gear, end of 1/4)
IMHO even with your stock gears you should be able to stay pretty close if you drive well.

just my HO, if i'm wrong let me know.;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't know what rpm you shift at, but it sounds to me that if you are only racing to 80, you shouldn't even know how your car holds up in third, and especially not forth. Second gear will get you to 80 with stock gears. Third will get you close to 120, if you haven't passed him by then, there must be something wrong.

·
Registered
364 Posts
SnakeyHorse said:
I don't know what rpm you shift at, but it sounds to me that if you are only racing to 80, you shouldn't even know how your car holds up in third, and especially not forth. Second gear will get you to 80 with stock gears. Third will get you close to 120, if you haven't passed him by then, there must be something wrong.
Thats what I was just thinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts