Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(1)can the complete drivetrain be swapped into 99-04 gt i know the motor fits but what about transmission or am i better off with something else found a complete swap but shop said i mite be better off cause i may have to chop up transmission tunnel .
(2) also what do i use for drive shaft.
(3) i take it i can use stock kmember without any issues .
(4) i have auto but want a manual transmission what year pedals do i need is there anything else i need for this conversion.

(5) what about brakes ,a/c ,power steering can all this be obtained if so what year parts for each item

· Registered
10,354 Posts
(1)can the complete drivetrain be swapped into 99-04 gt i know the motor fits but what about transmission or am i better off with something else found a complete swap but shop said i mite be better off cause i may have to chop up transmission tunnel .
(2) also what do i use for drive shaft.
(3) i take it i can use stock kmember without any issues .
(4) i have auto but want a manual transmission what year pedals do i need is there anything else i need for this conversion.

(5) what about brakes ,a/c ,power steering can all this be obtained if so what year parts for each item
I have not done the swap myself but looked into it heavily. If I had not got the car in my sig for the price I did I'd either be converting to a Coyote or just straight up buying a 11-14 GT... or F body (heresy!).

1 - The MT82 can probably be made to fit somehow but with the remote style shifter and all... just use the 3650 or T45 or another 4.6L application. The bolt pattern is the same so they bolt right up. The T45 can handle some power with a 26 spline input and the 3650 has aftermarket parts for 4 figures.

2 - Get yours modified to be the right length if it needs it. Measure.

3 - Yes

4 - Convert to manual like normal but you will need the "fly by wire" Coyote gas pedal.

5 - There is a $700 kit to mount your accessories to the Coyote and make everything work. The Hydroboost can be retained.

TBTH... unless you have some sort of attachment to your 99-04 or just want to do this specific build, you will very likely have as much or more money into this than you would if you just bought a 11-14 GT outright. Motor, trans rebuild, swap parts, fuel, control pack/ecu, cost of your car etc... etc... adds up quick.

· Registered
70 Posts
5 - There is a $700 kit to mount your accessories to the Coyote and make everything work. The Hydroboost can be retained.
Not OP, but also curious. Where do I get this kit? Everything I see seems to be very piecemeal.

I feel like this swap keeps getting suggested in forums, but it looks like a huuuge PITA with the electricals, fitting everything in the engine bay, weird issues with idling, and the need to custom fab brackets and other random problems. Why is this better than just slapping a supercharger onto the 2v? Or, for the same money as this whole swap, building a bottom end with TFS heads *and* slapping a supercharger on it?

· Registered
10,354 Posts
Not OP, but also curious. Where do I get this kit? Everything I see seems to be very piecemeal.

I feel like this swap keeps getting suggested in forums, but it looks like a huuuge PITA with the electricals, fitting everything in the engine bay, weird issues with idling, and the need to custom fab brackets and other random problems. Why is this better than just slapping a supercharger onto the 2v? Or, for the same money as this whole swap, building a bottom end with TFS heads *and* slapping a supercharger on it?
https://pbhperformance.com/shop/coyote-engine-swap-accessory-brackets/

There are no issues with idling anymore, that was growing pains early on.

No custom fabbing or major electrical anymore with all the documentation on the swap.

Its better than slapping a blower on because a supercharged 2V will get walked by a bolt on/tune Coyote.

By the time you buy a New Edge in good shape, do a full build with a power adder etc... etc... you could have bought yourself a Coyote or Terminator.

Only reason I have the car in my sig is I paid next to nothing for it and I'll still have about $10k into it total by the time its back up and running this spring. That's with a simple stock replacement motor.

· Registered
815 Posts
I am attached to my 99 lol, plus its a bit lighter than the S197's

This is a swap I would love to do in the future. Just not practical right now. I would like to retain factory gauge functions as well, I have looked into it and its been done.

· Registered
70 Posts
https://pbhperformance.com/shop/coyote-engine-swap-accessory-brackets/

There are no issues with idling anymore, that was growing pains early on.

No custom fabbing or major electrical anymore with all the documentation on the swap.

Its better than slapping a blower on because a supercharged 2V will get walked by a bolt on/tune Coyote.

By the time you buy a New Edge in good shape, do a full build with a power adder etc... etc... you could have bought yourself a Coyote or Terminator.

Only reason I have the car in my sig is I paid next to nothing for it and I'll still have about $10k into it total by the time its back up and running this spring. That's with a simple stock replacement motor.
I have basically every item Maximum Motorsports makes in mine, plus a t56 magnum, so I'm not parting ways with it for a while.

I've been debating back and forth whether a 5.3L shortblock and TFS R heads would be a better next step than the headaches of a coyote swap. They seem to me to be around the same cost. Sure, the Coyote would make more N/A than I ever could, but I'd have a similarly powerful motor to a stock coyote that is 1000hp capable that I can drop right in vs. a full on swap that I would then have to work on to get more out of anyway. I'm torn.

· Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a blown motor to build it right will cost about the same and coyote is over 400hp were it would take power adder on 2v to do that but it is for cool factor as I'm building show car

· Registered
10,354 Posts
Built 4.6L or Coyote swap, cost is going to be the same. Again, headaches are going to be from not doing your research. Swap parts are available for everything and there is a PnP harness.

· Registered
627 Posts
Built 4.6L or Coyote swap, cost is going to be the same. Again, headaches are going to be from not doing your research. Swap parts are available for everything and there is a PnP harness.
Maybe I'll have time later to do some research when I get home but I am not so sure that's the case when you consider the cost of the engine and all the other parts needed to make it all work. What does a used 5.0 run right now?

· Registered
815 Posts
Figure about 10K for the coyote swap, with the Ford Racing crate motor (it was just over 6K). I've heard of people finding the truck 5.0's for around 2K or less.

A built 2V with a blower and/or TFS heads, plus the forged internals to handle it. Tuning, fuel system, etc. I think it would be a wash.

I would do a coyote in a heartbeat if I wasn't trying to get my fox on the road.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
I've looked a few times and I'm here right now because I'm brainstorming again. I've got a vortech kit and supporting parts for my 2000. That would be the easy and cheaper way to go. On the other hand, what people may not be thinking about like I am is, daily driver. Not to say you cant daily drive a 2v power adder in any way, but I'm considering having a 400 rwhp N/A car nearly dead stock that could be daily driven for 100k miles plus with just oil changes.

Terminators are 10 years old and probably 50-100k miles of abuse for 15-25k(Mostly 20k and up). 11 up GTs are pretty much 20k+ with no less than 50-75k miles already on the clock(with unknown amounts of abuse). The early coyote cars had much issues with the engine tick (coyote tick) and the lousy china MT82.

There are several ways to make more power for less money, but not the same daily driver type reliability and simplicity that I'm looking for. I don't want to spend 35-40k for a new car, and don't want to spend 20-25k for a gamble on a half used up car. At least with a raggedy new edge swap you pretty much know where you stand for smaller money.
Plus sleeper :grin2:

· Registered
10,354 Posts
You guys don't want to know how much I paid for the car in my sig...

Blown motor, will have about $10-$12k into it when done including cost of the car.

· Registered
70 Posts

Blown motor, will have about $10-$12k into it when done including cost of the car.
I don't even have a blower and I'm beyond that point...

· Registered
10,354 Posts

I don't even have a blower and I'm beyond that point...
Guy was just dumping the car on CL. Spun rod hearing and roof needs paint. $5500. Came with everything already on it. Only reason I stayed 4.6 is the deal I got on this and how cheap and plentiful 4.6l parts are. Unless one can find a deal like I did I stand by my opinion to coyote swap or buy a 11+ GT or a Terminator or a 07-09Gt500.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.