Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is a weird problem that I'm out of ideas, someone please help.

Last week I just got done switching the plugs to some autolites 24s and made sure they gapped right and the car ran good for a while and then a day later something weird happened, the car started shaking badly when I was out. I pulled over and turned off the car and turned it back on and it went away. The rattling did not seem like it came from the engine, seems like it was coming from underneath the car.

Well it was on and off for a while now and now its basically all the time. I replaced the plug wires and didn't solve anything and I'm thinking its not the engine and its something else like maybe the converter or the driveshaft.

Again the whole car rattles badly and it seems like its coming from underneath the car. The weird thing is sometimes I can feel it at idle and sometimes I can't but I know that the rattling gets worse when it upshifts like its worse in 4th. I don't know if thats because its harder to accerlate.

I haven't rechecked the plugs yet, I did replace one of them which I thought had a problem but it wasn't it. So does this still sound like its the plugs causing this or something else? The plugs themselves have been gapped to .035 also.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Check you harmanic balencer, NOW... It is on the lower front of the engine. If it is bad, rubber comming out of from between the 2 metal pieces or is wabbly it needs to be replaced. If the balencer has come apart you could be ruining your motor. Do a search on harmonic balencers, lots of info.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My first thought was also the harmonic balancer. In any case, it sounds like the engine, and I wouldn't run it until you figure out what is causing it. Since it shakes at idle, it's not drivetrain. Look at the engine side of the balancer (engine off) and if you see rubber coming out, then replace the balancer before running the engine, period.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You gotta pull the plugs just to eliminate them as the problem. I was doing plugs in mine a while ago and after they were all gapped I somehow accidently mashed one of the electrodes. It rattled and shook something terrible. Of course the one that was bad was the very last plug I checked and it was the hardest to get to. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts