Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to have my stock wheels refinished/widened. Any ideas on who does this kind of work?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure about in your area. I heard there is a shop in Shreveport, LA that can do this.. I was thinking of having a set of 99 Cobra wheels widened in the rear. If you are interested in the shop in LA, I will check for you, just let me know if you want more details.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Try Wheels America 1-800-341=1501. They have many repair sites across the country and last I knew, the one in Dallas and one somewhere in Florida were thier two facilities that widens them for $115/wheel.

Rob
96 SHM Vobra

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob and Tony, thanks for the responses. I'll try calling wheels America, if for some reason it doesn't work out, I'll PM you Tony.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey Andy...... I know there is a shop in Detroit that does it but for the life of me cannot find the info on it. My concern, and I assume the widening is to the inside, would be the offsets. I have been thing about the same thing myself.

See you at the Shootout,

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Im getting ready to do this to my stock wheels.They are on the lathe at work right now.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Fourcam305 said:
Looking to have my stock wheels refinished/widened. Any ideas on who does this kind of work?

Thanks

How much are you wanting to widen? I know you know this but...You'll need to use a spacer so BS isn't more than about 6 1/2" or so.

The lamotta built TT car being discussed on this site lately has the stock 17X8 Cobra wheels widened to 17X10's with a wide bolt on spacer to put wheels correctly in wheel well....for that stock look.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could also try www.weldcraft.net .
They altered the backspace on my AR TT II's and did a great job. I was real happy with their work.
Scott

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had mine ship to wheels america almost 4 years ago. I have had no problems with my set up.

Had my 97 cobra wheels widened and refinished to 2in that is the most they can go. I then had to get a 1in spacer machined to work. They did not have the spacer they have now you can buy out.

Only problem I have is where they refinished the wheel it didn't look as good a the stock wheels, and know the clear is chipping off in some places.

Moody

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys.

Ben, good hearing from you. Are you running or spectating (like me) at the shootout?

Ralph, I was aware of the fact that I'd need a spacer, but I have no idea how thick is has to be. Hopefully the shop I deal with can help me out.

Moody, If you don't mind. How much did it run you to have them widened and refinished? I'd like to go with 10" rear wheels and 9" up front. Also, did you say that the spacer that I'd need is now available from Wheels America?

Thanks again,
Andy

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the phone with Wheels America. Their pricing per wheel: $200 to widen (up to 2") and $109 to refinish. Basically I'd be paying $1200+ to modify wheels that only cost $450 when new. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Any ideas as I'm really going to need a 10" rear wheel? I guess I could buy some 95Rs and just have the rears widened...not sure if I'd have to get them refinished as well (because they were widened)?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Well...there are some technical issues to understand. And I imagine the original designer of the wheels would not approve doing this, as it changes considerable the design load of the wheel.

If you take a 17X8 wheel with a 5.72" BS and add 2" to inside of wheel, you now have BS of 7.72". You have also moved the distance the mounting surface is from the center of the wheel (offset) 1/2 the distance of the extra width, or in effect changed the offset 1/2 the extra width. This almost doubles the offset and does weaken the wheel.

I would think ideal BS for a 17X10 wheel is about 6 1/2" which will clear quads (if you still have them) and pipes, and not cause need of fender rolling. Therefore I would think ideal spacer width W/B about 1 1/8"-1 1/4". (7.72-6 1/2).

I'm guessing you will need 2 wheels plus 2 donor wheels, plus bolt on spacer.

While a wheel designer might not approve of this widening, theses wheels are usually used on rear where load is light and they are not side loaded a lot like in road racing. Like Moody and others above say, I've never read any posts where there was a problem.

However, it seems to me a lot to go thru to keep the stock look. MHO

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Do what AL Papito does, run Welds front and rear on the street.

Using GT brakes, run normal width wheel in front and 15X10 in rear.

Are you sure you can't get by with 9" in rear"? For s short time I used some 26X11.5X15 ET Streets (about same size as 10" slicks)on 15X10 wheel. But I believe they would have worked better with 15X9 wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ralph thanks for the detailed advice. Perhaps I should include that I'm going to use a full GR40 suspension so there won't be any quad shock issues. My present plan (plan B) is to run 95Rs with a 255/265 front tire (likely NT 555s) and have the rear wheels widened 1" running a 315/17 Nitto DR. What do you think?
edit: I guess I could just use 9" wheels all around to start, the 315/17 Nitto DR will fit on a 9" rim the way a 275/17 Nitto DR fits on an 8" rim--not optimal, but it will work until I widen the rims.
Does Diversified still have the best prices on OEM Cobra Rs?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Whats up Andy,

Yes, Diversified does still have the best prices on the 95 Cobra Rs... I bought mine (original R58 model) from them back in January for $149 per wheel...

A 315/30/17 Nitto Drag Radial will fit fine on a 95 Cobra R rim...

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Snakecharmer had his Saleen wheels refinished by a wheel company and said they did an excellent job, I can't remember who it was though. Shoot him a PM and ask. :cool: I've got a set of Chrome Cobra R's I would sell, I have a new set of 10th Anniversary '03 Cobra wheels coming, just thought I'd be a little different! :evil:

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ben, lol, sounds like a plan.

Mike, thanks for the confirmation.

Allntrl, Eric was the first person I thought of and PM'd. Wheel Collision Center only refinishes wheels--no widening. Thanks for the tip though.

Honestly, I want some 18" Forgelines, but I just can't justify spending $650-800 per for wheels. Christ, that's 3/4 of an intercooled blower:(

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ralph, the car will continue to be my daily driver until winter. I've used 3 sets of 275/40/17 Nitto DRs in the past, on stock rims, and have learned to live with their so so handling in incliment weather. I am assuming that 315/30/17 Nitto DRs will fare better in the twisties than 275/40/17 BFGs...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts