Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up the fan upgrade and im really impressed how well it worked. Picked up the dual fan unit (two fans and shroud) from a local u-pull it junkyard (fan was laying on the ground lucky me!). came with the wiring intact, reused the plugs for fans. COST ME $35$. i used a hayden wiring harness from advance auto (35$) has relay a/c fan control and selectable turn on temp. I had to do very little trimming on the shroud. the shroud covers almost the whole radiator as well. Cools the car off really quick too. Overall, great bank for the buck mod. pics soon...have to tidy up my wiring first. Def another option to the tried and true Contour dual fan. those were very hard to find in my area!

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
:worthless:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will be up tomorrow fella! Got to get the wiring wrapped up so i dont look like a smuck with a bird nest under my hood. Hahah

·
Registered
904 Posts
Are the Ford Focus fans better than the Contour fans? any difference in power usage?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I noticed those focus fans recently and thought how similar they are to the contour. They do have less coverage though.

The contour fans are easy enough to find hut they're a bitch to remove.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as coverage...i have mine on a stock radiator and it fits perfect side to side after i trimmed it (took 5 mins with hack saw). I mounted mine all the way up to seeing that the hot water enters the top. Prob has 1" at the bottom that is not covered. Im still running my stock alternator. Doesnt seem to be putting a strain on the system to bad. But ill prob upgrade the alt anyway. As far as cfm goes...idk. it only cycles on and runs 15-20 seconds at a time so i know it pulls a decent amount of air. Hayden wire harness is cheap, easy, and available....ive only had one before and it gave me NO problems. Also the fan is really thin maybe 3-3.5in in depth!! Pics should be up later today!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just finished up the fan upgrade and im really impressed how well it worked. Picked up the dual fan unit (two fans and shroud) from a local u-pull it junkyard (fan was laying on the ground lucky me!). came with the wiring intact, reused the plugs for fans. COST ME $35$. i used a hayden wiring harness from advance auto (35$) has relay a/c fan control and selectable turn on temp. I had to do very little trimming on the shroud. the shroud covers almost the whole radiator as well. Cools the car off really quick too. Overall, great bank for the buck mod. pics soon...have to tidy up my wiring first. Def another option to the tried and true Contour dual fan. those were very hard to find in my area!
Contour and mystique 2.5 duratec (v6) engine fans are the best on the market. It kinda baffles me why people would pay 3-500 bucks for those black magic fans or [insert fancy aftermarket name here] fans when you can just do this. These fans have proven to pull/push 4000+ CFM

I used that same relay. People can laugh all they want about it being advanced auto parts and about it being cheapo or whatever. I set my to come on with high setting only. If you set the low and the high up it will burn up your relay and switch. Just set it to come on high and cool the engine and you will be just fine. I actually have a youtube video about me using, installing and showing this very relay. I used this on my blower set up for years. No issues. I popped an inline fuse here and there but no big deal. I just carried extra 50 amp fuses. Only popped one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just went and bought a 99 Cougar fan setup with plugs because I read this. LOL How did you guys wire the plugs? Im not sure what wire is what.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wired the colored wire to positive and the black to ground. Used a relay/fused wiring harness of course. The fans polarity can be switched no probs. Just test the fan before u install it get the wiring figured out to make the fans blow the right way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only problem i have with a contour fan....is the thing is hard to remove frome the car! I went to a "u-pull it" parts yard. Most all cars had front damage...not to mention the lack of space with no damage. Focus was a easy "pick" for me.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Take a cordless sawzall and cut the rubber bushing style radiator mounts from the k-member undercarraiage frame. Usually this has 4- 5/16 bolts per mount, per side but they are 99% rusty and pretty much welded into place.

Once the radiator, condensor and all that jazz thats mounted together with the fan is released from this mount, the fan practically falls out. Sense you have a sawzall cut those stupid trans lines out of the way too. Theres really only a plastic "hook" at the top of the fan and two 7/16 bolts that hold this fan in. Plus a few wires of course. Make sure you cut the wires LEADING to the fan. Ground on passenger side, and the power wire found on drivers side. You can cut the wires on the fan if you want but it does nothing for you.

Lastly not all contour mystiques had a dual blade. Some 2.0 engines had a single fan. Not the one your after. Some also had seperate fans mounted to a plastic piece on the fan. Easily noted as the plastic piece the 2 smaller black fans are mounted to is white in color and you can tell its a seperated unit. that too is not the one you want. The one you want is the 2.5L v6 one. Its all black and is all one unit. Not single, not mounted seperately. Im not sure why they changed that or when.

food for thought on what to look for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts