·
Registered
3,887 Posts
91-92 stock rod should hold up

Reactions: q6543

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Call up Nelson Racing Engines, tell him your plan. Post up the response, I could use some humor.

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
150 Posts
SCAT makes some of the best steel budget rods on the market. As well as non budget rods. High class operation over there!

I have a machinist friend who personally toured the factory a while back. Said he was blown away by all the engineering, machining, and the whole setup they have going on. Much better than some of the other factories he's seen over the years. (I won't mention any names, but I believe one had the name of a type of bird, they have advertisements all over the place in hot rod / performance magazines and stuff.)

FYI- H Beams and I Beams are the same in regards to strength. (SCAT tested them.) So it doesn't matter which one you get, they are all the same. One brands H Beams versus the same brands I Beams I mean. Just because the rod is turned 90* in relation to the rotational forces makes no difference on strength. That's what I always thought, but it's nice to see a company confirmed it. =)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I probably shouldnt sell them, but these rods have held to 2500hp on a 302 with 30psi and a wet shot of nitrous. They are very hard to find in good used shape. I have 2 sets and would be willing to part with a set, cant bring myself to get rid of both just yet. $1200 shipped and they are yours, which is a steal considering Callies rods are like $200 more and cant touch the quality of these

Attachments

·
Registered
1965 fastback 347 hci v3-si Pro M efi. Tko600 3:55
270 Posts
If your actually looking for the absolute strongest rods available then go this route
Pick up a few vintage B303 camshafts and source out a well known blacksmith that goes by the name “Bubba” this guy will melt the bump sticks and hand forge custom rods for you.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
SCAT makes some of the best steel budget rods on the market. As well as non budget rods. High class operation over there!

I have a machinist friend who personally toured the factory a while back. Said he was blown away by all the engineering, machining, and the whole setup they have going on. Much better than some of the other factories he's seen over the years. (I won't mention any names, but I believe one had the name of a type of bird, they have advertisements all over the place in hot rod / performance magazines and stuff.)

FYI- H Beams and I Beams are the same in regards to strength. (SCAT tested them.) So it doesn't matter which one you get, they are all the same. One brands H Beams versus the same brands I Beams I mean. Just because the rod is turned 90* in relation to the rotational forces makes no difference on strength. That's what I always thought, but it's nice to see a company confirmed it. =)
I Beams are superior in strength to H-Beams, and they're lighter. Some of Scat's stuff is good, some commonplace. They're pretty much the same Chinese reworks we get everywhere. Molnar is far tighter on tolerances. finish. and the correct offset for a Ford, instead of using Chevy dimensions.

If H-Beam was superior to I-Beam in resisting twist, bridges would be made out of H-Beams.

But, if you want the strongest H-Beam out there, then it's probably Carillo. Boostline is an interesting design. Last big boost motor I set up was 60+ lbs in a SB Chevy. I used a Bryant crank, and Manley rods. If it were me, Molnar PwrAdder, or Boostline. CP Bullets are also a nice piece.

But......it's mostly about the tuneup.

·
Registered
90 Mustang 5.0 5spd, 400+ HP
150 Posts
I Beams are the same strength of H Beams when the dimensions are the same, and the material is the same. Which is the case with most steel ones inside an internal engine.

Now, if you start changing dimensions when there are no space constraints, like bridges, train tracks, tressels, etc. then yes different variations will have different strengths + weaknesses.

But we aren't talking about bridges or architecture.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I beam and H beam dimension are seldom, if ever the same.

Sine you fail to comprehend what and "analogy" is, I'll no bother what I said about twist.

You are free to be as wrong as you choose to be...and I don't give two poops what Scat says. We did the testing when I was a Childs and Albert and I am dead certain of the results.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
The answer is Pankl. But good luck with that.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The answer is Pankl. But good luck with that.

we think alike

OEM's have been using Pankl ti rods for a few years. Kawasaki ZX10RR comes to mind. $1000+ each but nice quality so if any of you have a ZX10RR, you better take care of it--cause if you have to rebuild and replace the rods, the rods alone cost more than the bike is worth. I've had one of those engines apart and they are neat. Nothing really totally stands out at you but a lot of little things that do, like a relief at the bottom of each cylinder wall, which promotes air transfer from opposing motion pistons. Kinda similar principle to a vacuum pump but no additional weight. Reduces pumping losses.

Years back some of the NHRA P/S teams were "trying out" a new technology, developed and manufactured in secret by Pankl, no bearings. They were outlawed due to unfair advantage and cost prohibitive for teams to use them, but they made power. They were not metal. I've seen similar used in higher end N/A stuff that's 10,000 RPM+ and I've had my hands on them, but it's stuff that 99.99% of us will never see, and I may never see it again either. Cool stuff. Look at F1, and high end motorcycle stuff. Paningale, Aprilia, etc thats mostly where our grassroots engine stuff comes from is those teams that have high budgets and when they develop something that is game-changing it trickles down, even to OEM's. Rear view mirrors are one example, as are seat belts. Both came from Indy 500 way back when.

Oddly enough, since on the subject, NHRA pro/stock-being considered one of the pinnacles of naturally aspirated performance, has gone back to STEEL rods. They used aluminum for many years. A while back the NHRA imposed a upper RPM limit of 10,500, prior to that most competitive teams were pushing 12,000rpm out of 500" engines, and at those RPM levels steel rods did things that they weren't supposed to be doing, thus aluminum was chosen for a lot of reasons none of which was cost. When the rpm limits were enacted, teams tested and found that steel rods last just as long, made just as much power, and cost less.

most of the sprint cars I've dealt with were all Oliver steel I beam design, kind of a parabolic I beam. They last a while but they're only making 900hp give or take out of 400-410 cubic inches, on methanol (not gas), but they're on and off the throttle constantly which can be rough on rods/bolts. Interestingly enough, the chinese have almost completely copied the design with their RPM racing performance I beam rods. I have a set laying around somewhere, very similar to Oliver's.

Note that the rod in the pic is of an I-beam design, for whatever reasons that their engineers decided. I ain't smart enough to figure that stuff out. That is an F1 rod from about 10 years ago, Titanium. Can't remember where I got the pic, but it's been stuck on my puter for a while now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts