Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GT with automatic trans. What is a good shift kit to put in and, how hard is it to do. And what exactly is the shift kit going to do to my transmission. :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm assuming you want a new shifter??? I'm not sure what "shift kit" means, but if your looking for a new shifter, you want a steeda tri-ax... they are the best on the market right now! It is a short throw shifter with positive stops... Very easy to install, it took me 30 minutes to do alone... All you have to do is pull the molding off around your shifter, remove the boot, remove the bolts that hold the old shifter in place, crack the sealant, and pull it out. To install, reverse the procedure making sure you make an adequate seal with some of that liquid gasket stuff that comes in the tubes. After feeling the difference, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ooops... I guess I missed the part where you said you have an auto... Sorry. Somebody help this man out, Im useless! :eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Popstick...

the best shift-kit for the 4R70W that is in your Mustang is the Jerry mod.It's absolutely the best shift improver that can be installed,and will not harm the trans in any way.I have over 100K miles on my trans in my '97 Tbird with that mod done.
Here's a link to the article.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html
This mod involves nothing more than removing the valvebody seperator plate and redrilling some of the existing holes,and if needed,swap out the accumulator pistons,but I'm pretty sure that the '98-up trannies have the revised pistons already.
JL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Either the "Jerry" chip or "Jerry" mod is all you will need to make that auto tranny be a performer. Unfortunately, I don't believe the "Jerry" chip is available any longer (I got in just under the wire about a year ago with mine) but his tranny mod will give you similiar results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts