Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this post will be moved but dont know where else to ask it,, But I have a set of MAC headers that have seen a lil better days,, and the HTS coating is starting to come off and some light surface rust is appearing,, I would like to repaint them with the same color to make em look like new untill next year when I'm able to afford jet hot coating for em.

The paint I assume would have to withstand 1500*+-
right?

Brad

·
Registered
905 Posts
Looks good TT. My friend works as a mechanic, and he put on three coats of 1600 degree paint on some headers, let it dry, put it on the car, started it up, and the paint literally bubled off... :(

·
Registered
844 Posts
i used it for over a year w/o any problems. i repainted em this year cause i welded that bung in and oil got burned onto them. But the paint still looked great overall
dave

·
Registered
905 Posts
TT_Vert said:
i used it for over a year w/o any problems. i repainted em this year cause i welded that bung in and oil got burned onto them. But the paint still looked great overall
dave
What brand is it and what degree?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I've used 1200F ceramic paint from Autozone or Walmart. Don't remember the brand. You can hold a propane torch to it. The trick is curing it slowly. If there's any solvent at all trapped in the paint, it will bubble off. I've been painting thin coats, curing with a torch in between coats. Also between coats I go over them with a brass brush to knock the paint off any weak spots so i get a chance to hit them again. Seems to work well, but haven't mounted them on the car yet.

Billy

·
Registered
65 Posts
bake em in the oven to cure them?

oh wait, i guess long tubes won't fit in an oven.

might be able to take em to pizza place and have em bake em in the big ovens! j/k

·
Registered
355 Posts
I second the Eastwood Co. that Dustball recommended ya.

Over the years I have bought a 3 cans of the stuff for use on headers. It works great and holds up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts