Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Gt Holley Terminator, Systemax 2, TW 170cc, N41, Powerdyne, 3:73
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really want to pull the trigger and get this set up for my Fox. Just looking for real reviews and feedback. Also seems the 3qt reservoir that it comes with is not ideal and it’s a no briber to go with the upgrade 2.5 gallon system.

·
Registered
1997 Mustang Cobra
421 Posts
I have an AIS system, so I can't directly compare. 2.5 gallons is a lot of meth though. I wouldn't be opposed to going down to 3-4 quarts and getting my trunk space back :lol:

·
Registered
87 Gt Holley Terminator, Systemax 2, TW 170cc, N41, Powerdyne, 3:73
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an AIS system, so I can't directly compare. 2.5 gallons is a lot of meth though. I wouldn't be opposed to going down to 3-4 quarts and getting my trunk space back :lol:
Lol I could see that being a real thing. How long does 2.5 gallons last?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
As far as running the meth kit, using something like megasquirt. Is there any need to change anything in the ve table usually?

Reactions: fasterthangas

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
As far as running the meth kit, using something like megasquirt. Is there any need to change anything in the ve table usually?
You can just leave the tune as-is.
On my GN I had a small tank for the meth but it was never large enough and kept runing out so when I added it to my Mustang I used a 2.5gal tank and I liked it a lot better.

ks

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
You can just leave the tune as-is.
On my GN I had a small tank for the meth but it was never large enough and kept runing out so when I added it to my Mustang I used a 2.5gal tank and I liked it a lot better.

ks
That’s good to know, thanks for the insight.

I plan on adding a meth kit to my car once I change out the a5 for a t56 as e85 is sort of tough to come by here a lot of the time. Plus I don’t need to add a second (or larger) fuel pump and larger injectors than I already have.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I don't like the snow methanol kits.

1. All the push on fittings for the red plastic feed line leak from the reservoir to the solenoid to the spray nozzle. They leak more in the winter time if the car sits in a cold climate cold garage or outside.
2. The directions say to use the supplied blue clamp on wire splice for the system to run off one of the injector wires because the system runs off the injector pulse and they say not to solder it. Those clamp on splice connectors get corroded over time and then the system starts sticking on all the time while driving flooding your intake, discharge tube, bov, and throttle body with water/meth.
3. The spray from the inlet nozzle once you let off the gas and out of boost slowly fizzles out. It doesn't shut off right away after you let off the gas and again spraying water/meth into the throttle body etc when not wanted and puddles up inside the intake and throttle body corroding the aluminum inside the throttle body. Already had to replace a throttle body after 2-3 years of use because it got so corroded.
4. The bigger 2.5 gallon Reservoir doesn't come with a good mounting system and those aluminum straps they supply don't hold the tank down very well at all. It rattles and slides around with the straps they provide. Had to come up with other ideas to hold that tank down using those straps and some other things around the shop and still didn't like the way it turned out.
5. This is all on a customers car. I tried to talk him out of this kit. It didn't work. Now I'm stuck messing with this kit all the time.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I was looking at kind of doing my own setup, using a methanol fuel solenoid and pulsing it using the ms. Seems like this would net good control, and accurate opening and closing

·
Registered
350 Posts
Has anyone converter their washer tank into a larger reservoir?
I use my washer fluid reservoir with a Snow kit controlled by the VC-50 controller. I spray 16 gph pre compressor into a Kenne Bell. The VC-50 allows for progressive control. I start at 3 psi and all in at 8 psi. Running 12 psi on a Flowzilla/Blowzilla. It works well and yes it affects the tune. It will give you a rich mixture. And it seems to last a long time with just the washer reservoir.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've used a Devil's Own universal progressive kit for about 7 years now with good results. Only needed to change out a fitting or two over the years due to leaks. It just needs a boost reference signal (vacuum line) and the rest of it wires up like a typical 4 pin relay, so no hacking into injector wiring etc...The D.O. kit has a 'start' point and a 'full' point you set with dials. Just upgrade to stainless lines if spraying a flammable mix.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
The last part of that video is interesting in regards to the E3 plugs. They made an improvement with E85 but I have to wonder if they would make an improvement with boost and pump gas.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I've been looking into using meth injection with the PIMP as a safety measure. It's not clear what I'd need to put together a kit to be controlled with Megasquirt.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I've been looking into using meth injection with the PIMP as a safety measure. It's not clear what I'd need to put together a kit to be controlled with Megasquirt.
It looks like a tank, pump, nozzle, control solenoid, solid state relay, and misc lines and fittings would get it done. You can configure an output on the expansion harness to pulse a solenoid off the solid state, as well as power the pump after a certain boost level.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
It looks like a tank, pump, nozzle, control solenoid, solid state relay, and misc lines and fittings would get it done. You can configure an output on the expansion harness to pulse a solenoid off the solid state, as well as power the pump after a certain boost level.
I guess I can pillage my Snow kit and go with steel braided lines and fittings.
The included tanks are kind of small. I'm thinking a larger tank in the trunk would be better. I think my tune would have to be leaned out depending on how much I spray. I'm not looking for a power increase. It would be nice to have cooler intake air temps and an octane cushion.
How would an output pulse the solenoid?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Here's a solution to leaking push connect fittings. See the link in the description under the video as well.

• Haha
Reactions: pkstang

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
How would an output pulse the solenoid?
The output pulses the solid state relay which pulses the solenoid. You just need to be sure to get a ssr that can be ground activated. Most can, but some can’t. A hella ssr is a good option.

“nitrous 1 out” - can turn on the pump. This can actually be a standard relay.
“Nitrous 2 out” - can be used to pulse the solenoid. Must be ssr

You ground the solenoid to the chassis, and then power the 12v side with the ssr.

Reactions: fasterthangas
1 - 20 of 28 Posts